Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
teengardener1888

tropical northeast heat killing spider plants

teengardener1888
11 years ago

This tropical heat is killing my spider plants!!!!! i put them in shade to try to protect them and drenched them with water(HAVENT WATERED IN TWO WEEKS!) this drought and heat is killing my plants. yesterday while watering my plants i passed out in my bed of cannas. when i woke up, a wasp had stung me! and my cannas were damaged when i fell on them. this drought and heat has to go. who lives on the northeast and even in the east coast. i dare you to tell me this heat isnt killing you. the weather channel is saying it is hotter here than in southern florida! tell me about how the drought is affecting your garden

Comments (7)

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

Does your Mom know this happened?

• denninmi
    11 years ago

I don't think heat is a big deal. Chlorophytum is native to tropical Africa. The greenhouse where I used to work would plant them in 8" hanging baskets in lots of 500 or 1000 and hang them up high in the greenhouses in May and June after the spring annual baskets were gone. Summer temps in there could be as high as 110-115 even WITH the fans running full blast, and these stupid things thrived. If the drip emitter on one was plugged or pulled, they would shrivel up, but could go several weeks without water and still come back.

Sounds to me like the "2 weeks without water" is the issue, but they will come back. And yes, if you had a reaction so bad to a wasp sting that you passed out, tell a parent about it and go see an allergist, it could be life threatening.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

Not passed out from a sting, passed out from heat and got stung while out cold. Am I reading that right, TG? Passing out from the heat is dangerous and could be a symptom of something you should have treated or it may be nothing. Your Mom should know to decide if you should see your doctor.

Can you get out there earlier in the morning? When it's 100 degrees here and I have to go outside, I fill a baseball cap with ice cubes and put it on. Lasts for 15-30 mins if your hat is white & gets me through mowing without passing out. Loose, light colored clothing. Go inside & cool off if you feel woozy. Get some water. Spray yourself with the hose, cold shower. Be proactive.

I'm sorry about your Cannas! I have the plain green kind with red flowers and am patiently waiting for someone to give me some different ones. Will continue "subtle hints and cuttings offerings" plan. Do you ever see hummingbirds visiting their flowers?

Totally agree with what denim said. When it's so hot, plants will go through water a lot faster. Can't imagine anything lasting 2 weeks, even in the shade in a giant pot.

It may be hotter up there than it is down here for today or tomorrow. I wrote this in another thread, but goes here too: It can get over 100 here for days in a row, with a "break in the heat" being a dip down to 95 or so. This goes on for 3-4 months, with a long stretch of high 80's / mid 90's book-ending on both sides of the really hot part of summer. I wouldn't worry about those fluctuations from night to day, or day to day, that's natural. All of my plants are fine with it, except Fuchsia.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    11 years ago

I'm not sure that youngsters understand how important drinking plenty of water is when it's hot like that. You need to start guzzling water first thing in the morning, even when you don't feel thirsty.

• teengardener1888
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sorry, haven't been on gardeners in a few days.yes I passed out from heat and I did go to a doctor. I am just fine.amazingly, all of my plants were just fine. Temperatures have been steadily
    dropping in Albany.

• pirate_girl
    11 years ago

Good to learn you went to the Dr. TG, glad you hear you're OK. The plants too, but young gardeners are harder to replace. ;>)
    Take it easy out there, maybe go out early in morning or just in evening to garden while avoiding the worst of the heat.

• teengardener1888
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you pirate girl

Sponsored
Craftsman Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars25 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Home Builder 3x Best of Houzz Award Winner