Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
scottb72

Unsure of what this is - 2 of 2

Scott72
10 years ago

I inherited a couple of house plants with the house from my Mom when she passed away. I need help identifying what they are. I have attached some pictures of them here.

Comments (29)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    10 years ago

Looks like a green pothos.

• kayjones
    10 years ago

It needs to be watered/soaked and cut back to about an inch from the soil. It will flush back out from the roots and be full and lush. You can stick the cuttings in water and they will root and make new plants.

• tropicbreezent
    10 years ago

It's a Philodendron, but they can be treated the same as Epidendrums. Depends what you want to do with it. As suggested you can cut it right back and let it grow out again. Or you could put some sort of trellis with it and coil it around. Given a bit of time it will fill out. It might need repotting as well. Check the soil and whether it's pot bound.

• teengardener1888
    10 years ago

Tropical, it is a pothos(Epidendrums areus) not Heart leaved philodendron(Philodendron scandens oxycardium)

• KatherynIridaceae
    10 years ago

Either a Pothos or Heart shaped philodendron. Either way, trim a good few inches... feet. It'll perk up and fill out nicely.

• asleep_in_the_garden
    10 years ago

Epipremum aureum. :)

• teengardener1888
    10 years ago

Thanks for spelling correction asleep

• teengardener1888
    10 years ago

That plant has great potential to grow into a bushy monster with proper pruning/care

• tropicbreezent
    10 years ago

I blew it there, must have had orchids on my mind when I typed Epidendrum instead of Epipremnum. But all the same, it's not Epipremnum aureum. The leaves are a bit too elongated and seem to have longish drip tips. Also the petioles seem to be rounded rather than 'grooved'. It all points to being a Philodendron.

Teengardener, I didn't say it was Heart-leaved Philodendron, I don't think it is. There's many more Philos, I've one which looks identical to the one in the photo but have lost the name for it. I'm pretty sure it wasn't the Heart-leaved.

In any case, caring for them is much the same.

• teengardener1888
    10 years ago

Im willing to disagree, im shure is is a pothos

• asleep_in_the_garden
    10 years ago

Hmmmmm...

No groove in the petiole,eh?

Scratch what I said earlier then.

NOT an epipremnum!

The search continues! :)

• asleep_in_the_garden
    10 years ago

...In the meantime...

Here is a link that might be useful: Food for thought

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    10 years ago

Asleep in the garden,
    Not sleeping this time. I love the way you finished this post. I copied this for future disputes/questions.
    Stush

• asleep_in_the_garden
    10 years ago

Thanks Stush. :)

Thought it might prove helpful,yaknow?

• tropicbreezent
    10 years ago

That's a good link Asleep. Very helpful in the way it puts all the differences side by side. Thanks.

• asleep_in_the_garden
    10 years ago

Might be barking up the wrong tree here but have a peek at the pics in the link.

Here is a link that might be useful: Yep...I can't read portuguese either :)

• pirate_girl
    10 years ago

I DO speak Portuguese if there's something in particular on that page you wish translated.

• teengardener1888
    10 years ago

No protective sheaths=pothos

• kalley77
    10 years ago

Rina
    It looks likes a philo to me but I'm not sure. The plant is beautiful.

• teengardener1888
    10 years ago

It is a philo but not Philodendron scandens oxycardium( heart leaves philo)

• asleep_in_the_garden
    10 years ago

Thanks for the translation offer Karen! You're too kind. :)

...But I'm already under the impression that the pics in that link are philo cordatum...of course the details of that page may prove interesting as well so please by all means come back with any cool findings. Thing is I knew I'd seen a pic of a philo somewhere that looked like the one in Scott's pic and I've been pouring over all kinds of stuff on the intertubes trying to jog my memory and thus far it's all I've been able to come up with...even tho I'm still not too sure. The pics in the link I provided upthread showed a bit of detail that may prove insightful,particularly the shot where the petiole connects to the stem,..so Scott,if you're still keeping up with this,look carefully at the pics and compare and let us know if we have a hit or a miss. :)

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    10 years ago

I didn't think it was heart-leaved, I was given ID as Paddle Leaf Philodendron (Philodendron renauxii Reitz). Not 100% sure, so wanted to see if anybody has another ID. I am planning on giving it away - have too many of these...Rina

• asleep_in_the_garden
    10 years ago

Rina,I envy the lucky duck on the receiving end of your generosity. Just looked up that latin name and was really impressed with the results of the search...beautiful plant! :)

In my digging I've found another site that I'm linking that somewhere down the page has a list of philos.

UGH...This could take a while! LOL

Here is a link that might be useful: page with philo list

• asleep_in_the_garden
    10 years ago

...The juvenile form of a philo hastatum?

The leaves look like a match. Scott's specimen is a spot leggier than the pic in the next link,but...

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:90404}}

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    10 years ago

asleep

Thank you for the link, I did not see that one.
    WOW, that's a partial list? not sure I can get thru it without being completely confused.
    Hope I find a good care-taker for it (it is actually rescue, main plant was in pretty bad shape, I cut it up & ended up with too many now)....Rina

• asleep_in_the_garden
    10 years ago

Rina,..

NOW I can see the pic that you posted(didn't load for me before),and I will suggest that what you have there is one of the many cultivars philodendron erubescens available...a healthy one to boot. :)

• tropicbreezent
    10 years ago

Rina's photo does look like P. erubescens, I have a lot of it in the garden, the red variety.

P. scandens is a synonym of P. hederaceum (sp?). A lot of Philos were put into that species name because it is a very variable species and difficult to ID unless you're a taxonomist.

• asleep_in_the_garden
    10 years ago

Yes Tropic,

Hederaceum becomes quite the catch-all,doesn't it?

Includes micans for one which kinda threw mw at first now I'm learning that a velvety textured leaf isn't as uncommon as previously assumed.

Anyone wana give a second opinion about Scott's plant? ...At this point I'm pretty convinced that it's the juvenile form of a P. hastatum. :)