Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
prunellaplum

Weird soil mushrooms; ailing corn plant

PrunellaPlum
10 years ago

I received two ancient corn plants from my folks. They're cuttings from a 20+ year old plant. When my mom brought them to me, there were bizarre yellow growth in the soil. I'm curious a) what they are b)if they're toxic to people or pets and c) if they are symptoms of something else going on that is also browning and curling the leaves? Any thoughts?

Comments (20)

• PrunellaPlum
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here are some pictures:

{{gwi:90422}}

{{gwi:90424}}

• teengardener1888
    10 years ago

Interesting. That is a sign that the soil is rich in organic matter. is it in garden soil or soilless potting mix

• pirate_girl
    10 years ago

Suggesting it's meant for outdoor growing, not containers (which soils behave quite differently).

• asleep_in_the_garden
    10 years ago

Thus I would suppose the best bet would be to wash it down to bare roots and pot it up in a better mix. The mix in question is always an interesting topic here on the boards but if one thing rings true every time it's that drainage is a must. Beyond that statement I leave you to the happy soil people....sayyyyy...that has a ring to it,no?

• teengardener1888
    10 years ago

Yes, it should only be in soiless potting mix when in containers

• asleep_in_the_garden
    10 years ago

LOL I did not say that.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    10 years ago

That's a fruiting body known as the yellow potting soil mushroom. For real....that's the common name most used. Its Latin name is Leococoprinus birnbaumii, and yours are just starting to develop. In a few days, they will evolve into pretty little parasol mushrooms, really pretty.

Peat based potting media are where these seem to grow. The forums get several questions about these every year, so you are not alone.

Not harmful in the least to your plant other than the underground body constantly decomposing the potting medium (not good) . The problems with your plant may be caused by an overly moist, dense mix.

Do not eat these fruiting bodies. If you aren't rabidly interested in watching their development (some of us would be) I'd go ahead and make that complete soil change now.

• asleep_in_the_garden
    10 years ago

Pics would be cool too. :)

• pirate_girl
    10 years ago

I was taught that soilless mix is equal parts peat, perlite & vermiculite. This MAY work for some houseplants, definitely not for succulents though.

Also unsure if soilless mix is accepted practice here at Houseplants, I haven't heard it discussed here that I can recall.

10 years ago

Pirategirl, a soilless mix is any medium that does not contain garden soil. My soilless medium of choice ( Fafard professional heavy weight line) has more bark than peat. I'll be willing to bet that your mix of choice is 'soilless '. Many here make their own media with a variety of ingredients in all kinds of proportions....unless a big pile of outdoor soil is used, it's considered soilless. Nearly all bagged commercial potting soils are soilless.

Asleep, I'll attach some images from my other computer tomorrow. But if you Google "yellow potting soil mushroom " and click on images you'll see them in various stages. You can also look them up under the Latin name.

• PrunellaPlum
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm really new to house plants, and I never really paid much attention to these while they were at my grandparents' and later my parents' home. I did notice that the "soil" is really spongy and light, not very similar to outside garden soil. I'll have to ask my mom what she's planted them in. I was just very surprised to see these cute little mushrooms appear! And I am very interested in watching them grow, so maybe I'll wait awhile to change out the mix in the pot.

• asleep_in_the_garden
    10 years ago

...And spoil the surprise? LOL

Pics tomorow,check! :)

10 years ago

Yay for prunella! I love people with curiosity about wierd things. Keep sending pictures.

• teengardener1888
    10 years ago

Yes, prepared soil mixes aernt always bad pirate, as rhizo said not all brands are equal. But stay away from miracle grow seed starting mix

• petrushka (7b)
    10 years ago

it's best to remove surface soil with a spoon and discard. the mold/fungus likes acidic soil. add 1tb vinegar to 1 gal water when watering . you can proly spray with a week vinegar solution too.
    I had yellow fungus develop in orchid bark due to hi humidity. I had to spray with fungicide to remove it completely and also changed top 1" of medium.
    this might help:
    1 tsp baking soda to1 qt water + a few drops of liquid soap.

10 years ago

Nope, With all respect, Petrushka, there is no need to chase a harmess non-pathogenic fungus with vinegar, fungicides, or baking soda!

The potting mix needs to be changed at time point anyway and that will take care of this issue.

• PrunellaPlum
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Behold! Here are the mushrooms the day after my first post:
    {{gwi:90426}}

Groovy.

10 years ago

Wow! Keep the pictures coming.

• asleep_in_the_garden
    10 years ago

Awwwwww!

SO cute! :)

• kaktuskris
    10 years ago

Honestly, I prefer the mushrooms over the corn plant...Sorry, just never one of my faves...I know they have sentimental value.

Christopher

Sponsored
Outdoor Spaces
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Experienced Full Service Landscape Design Firm Serving Loudoun County