Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
unidentified house plant not doing very well

Posted by stew23 none (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 19, 14 at 14:35

Hi all,

I got this little plant at IKEA several months ago and promptly repotted it but it doesn't seem to have grown a millimeter since then. I have no idea what it is and the (not so helpful) label only said that it should receive bright but not direct light and to water sparingly and let dry out in between, which I have done. I'm wondering if anyone can identify it and suggest what I could do to make it happier? It doesn't appear to be dying, it just isn't flourishing.

This is my first time posting and I appreciate any responses!

Tory

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: unidentified house plant not doing very well

One of the variegated peperomia.

o

Yes, probably P. obtusifolia, but there are other similar species, and cultivars of various species. If you have a spot with more light, it may grow a little faster, though it's not a fast growing type of plant. Your Peperomia looks pretty peppy to me. House plant growth is usually measured by seasons, or even years, not months.

Here is a link that might be useful: Peperomia selection from EA

o

Hi, & yes, I think that ID is right.

Also agree this isn't a fast growing plant & that actually, it looks excellent, we can see that by how the leaves look & how firm they appear.

I'd keep doing the same as you are, but in future, when you repot, I'd add about 30% perlite to that mix to make it faster draining (that mix looks quite peaty from here).

While I don't see this in the EA listings (Exotic Angels), that ID is definitely correct for Pep., very nice one too, enjoy.

o

I think your pep is as cute as a button. I'm just posting some of my peps mixed in with lipstick, philos etc. All of these are from this season. They're in no more than 5 inch pots, some smaller than that with potting soil mixed with perlite.

o

That's a nice one. It'll get to growing when it sets roots since the repot. They actually can take off pretty quickly, and become tall and fall over if not pinched back or trimmed now and again. They are also pretty tough, but can succumb to overwatering, so make sure to let it dry up a bit between waterings. I agree with the statement about the soil being doctored for extra drainage, as peperomias appreciate a well drained soil.

Joe

o

Thank you everyone! I feel much better about my little guy and will make sure to be patient and not overwater.

This post was edited by stew23 on Mon, Jun 30, 14 at 17:49

o

How are things going?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here