Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
moosetrackz

California Cactus Center

Moosetrackz
12 years ago

Ive heard that the California Cactus Center is an amazing place to see and buy rare cacti and succulents. They have some pretty awesome arrangements of cacti and succulents too. Im planning a trip soon to go and check it out. Has anyone here been to the California Cactus Center?

I really want a Desert Rose. My question is, should I buy one from the California Cactus Center? I havent seen one anywhere else around here. I always keep my eye out for one when I go to walmart or home depot etc. and have never seen any.

I havent been there yet but everyone says their plants are the best anywhere but a bit pricey. When I called and asked they said their desert roses price range is from $30-$200. Im willing to spend around $30 for a good healthy plant though.

Ive attached a link to their website.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cactus Center

Comments (15)

• pirate_girl
    12 years ago

Hey Moose,

Did you mean to post this at the Cactus & Succulent Forum? I switch back & forth btwn the 2 myself, by right now, we're at the Houseplant Forum. Folks here may not know this answer, am guessing you'll more answers at the C&S Forum rather than here.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    12 years ago

Link doesn't work, either.

Josh

• Moosetrackz
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yes. Thank you.
    I reposted on the cacti and succulent forum :)
    Not sure why the link doesnt work :( Its at
    http://www.cactuscenter.com/
    Hope that helps.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    12 years ago

The link is working now...
    Saw the Thread in Cactus. Hopefully some of the SoCal folks know the place.

Josh

• birdsnblooms
    12 years ago

Link is working here, too.

Moose, I've never been to the Cactus CA Center...if no one here has been, Google center reviews and/or see if it's listed on Gardenwatchdog.

I can't recall if you said you won't order online.. There are many C&S nurseries that carry Adeniums/Desert Rose.
    Check out buried-treasure or buried-treasures, absolutely cactus, thistledown and jadepoint.

Price at the center, 'like any other nursery,' will depend on size.
    A couple of my Adeniums were purchased at HD...19.99 for a mature, grafted, bonsai-type. Others came from Thailand, and Buried-Treasure. Oh, and two babies, 4" pots, 7" height, from a local garden center, for 5.99.

I didn't have a chance to check out the centers plants..does it have pics and descriptions? Maybe you should rephone, ask differences between $30.00 oppossed to 200.00 Adeniums???

Whatever, if I had the chance to go to this center, I'd hop on a plane or fill up the gas tank and GO. lol.
    Imagine all the beautiful succulents, plus you get to see new types. And view CA, too. I'd love to go..boohoo.

Before going, check online nurseires...look in your phone book for local garden centers/nurseries. Find out prices and size..you can decide, compare prices and size once your at the Center.

Have fun, Toni

• Moosetrackz
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hey Toni. :)
    I posted on the cacti and succulent forum and they told me about the CSSA Annual Show & Sale at the Huntington Botanical Gardens in San Marino California. It suppose to be the biggest cacti and succulent show in the US so hopefully Ill find what Im looking for without breaking the bank. :)
    I cant wait! Its going to be so much fun seeing so many different plants.

• birdsnblooms
    12 years ago

Moose, you are SOOO lucky. Don't count your chickens before they're hatched = don't count your ATM before plant shopping..lol..

I'll check C&S's..

There are plant shows I wish I could attend, yearly..I can't go because of pets. Dogs and birds..

When are you going? Toni

PS: Checked the site..no prices..emails are accepted.. If interested in more than one plant, it's best to phone.

• Moosetrackz
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I got the boyfriend to watch the dog and Ill be there tomorrow!
    Any tips on how best to care for my new Adenium would be great. I read a lot of the old forum posts about them but you can never know too much! :)

• birdsnblooms
    12 years ago

Pug, where are you??

Moosetrackz, you must see a picture of Pug's Adenium. It's the most beautiful, huge and packed w/flowers.

You're probably on your way to the Center...visions of succulents dancing through your head... lol

After you find a lovely Adenium, please post when you get home..
    Adeniums do best when left alone. In other words, the only way to kill this beautiful succulent, is by over-watering.

Be safe driving, and have a great time..hugs, Toni

• Moosetrackz
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The plant sale was so much fun!
    I got so many nice plants and everyone was so nice and helpful. I got the most beautiful Adenium as well as some other great succulents.
    Any advice on the care of any of them would be great. I'm not sure what some of them are.
    Enjoy the pictures :)

Here is a link that might be useful: New Plants

• birdsnblooms
    12 years ago

Moose, there are 24 pictures on your link. Did you buy all the plants displayed? lol

Very nice..Your Adenium is so full. Hope it flowers this summer.

I see several Haworthias and Sedums. Can't recall the others. lol.
    But, they're all healthy, nice-looking succulents.

Is the Oyster new, too? How about the Hoyas?

Were prices reasonable?

I'm glad you had a good time..Aren't you happy you went? lol.
    Nice, helpful people can make a persons day. Toni

• Moosetrackz
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I did go a little crazy buying plant lol. They were all so beautiful and affordable!
    I hope my Adenium flowers too! I cant wait!
    I got the Adenium, the Haworthias, the Sedum, the Hoya, 3 air plants and the Huernia Procumbens at the show. The Oyster I bought at the Cactus center when I went after to get them re-potted. They do an amazing job re-potting plants for you there! The guys an absolute artist.
    The prices were good. The Haworthias and Sedum were $6-$2, air plants $5-$3, Hoyas were $25-$12 and the Adenium was $22.
    Im so glad I went! I got much better deals than I even thought I would and found some plants I couldnt find anywhere else. Now my only problem is lack of space lol. Soon no one will be able to walk in my tiny yard lol :)

P.S.
    Ill add the Air plants pics to my album soon.

• birdsnblooms
    12 years ago

Moose, aw, it's only money..lol

Since you decided to go, why not buy plants?? You know? Especially if it was a long drive.

Unless a nursery had the same plants I already have or way too expensive, it's rare for me to leave w/o purchasing something..lol..Although I have..

One little shop in Chicago...the least expensive plant cost 14.99..the choice, a mini-African Violet or mini-Azalea. At the time, I was looking for a Cast Iron Plant/Aspidistra, but he wanted 35.00! This would be, hmm, 1983/4. Wayyyy toooo much money for a slow-growing, green plant in a 6" pot. He was peeved we walked out.

Were the plant bare-root? Why did someone repot? Or did you add pots to your shopping spree? lol.

Yes, please post pics when you have the time..

Moose, are your plants kept outdoors year round, or do they come in during winter months?
    If they come in, unless you live in a mansion, your space problem will follow you indoors..lol..Toni

• birdsnblooms
    12 years ago

Moose, aw, it's only money..lol

Since you decided to go, why not buy plants?? You know? Especially if it was a long drive.

Unless a nursery had the same plants I already have or way too expensive, it's rare for me to leave w/o purchasing something..lol..Although I have..

One little shop in Chicago...the least expensive plant cost 14.99..the choice, a mini-African Violet or mini-Azalea. At the time, I was looking for a Cast Iron Plant/Aspidistra, but he wanted 35.00! This would be, hmm, 1983/4. Wayyyy toooo much money for a slow-growing, green plant in a 6" pot. He was peeved we walked out.

Were the plant bare-root? Why did someone repot? Or did you add pots to your shopping spree? lol.

Yes, please post pics when you have the time..

Moose, are your plants kept outdoors year round, or do they come in during winter months?
    If they come in, unless you live in a mansion, your space problem will follow you indoors..lol..Toni

• Moosetrackz
    Original Author
    12 years ago

$35 for a cast iron plant is outrageous!

I had them re-potted because the cactus center does a really good job and I didnt have any cactus mix at home. They'll pot any plant you bring in for free you just have to pay for the soil and rocks they put in.

The winters here arnt too bad but I do plan on bringing some of the plants in for winter. It gets maybe in the 40s in winter. Should I bring in all the succulents or just put them under the balcony so they dont get rained on? My sweet potatos and caladium will be dorment so Ill probably put them in the shed next to the house. Does Coleus go dorment or just die off in winter? The Coleus is flowering now. I didnt even know they flowered. :)

The air plants are at the end of the album in the link. :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Air Plants

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County