Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Crosses,Fruiting and Lots of Pruning

Posted by teengardener1888 NY Albany 5a (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 3, 13 at 14:51

I have been taking care of my friends huge 3 foot across Christmas cactus. I have taken many cuttings from it. It flowered for 5 months nonstop in a row, but my biggest accomplishment was when i managed to cross it with one of my thanksgiving cactus. I do have a few questions

How long does it take for fruit to mature?

Will it be a TC or CC catus from seeds?

Are they hard to grow from seeds?

How do i know when they are mature?

Do i store them or plant Immediately?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Crosses,Fruiting and Lots of Pruning

Hi TG,

If I may ask pls. how do you know you've managed to cross it?

I've seen the fruit take up to A YEAR to ripen (redden) when I've been told one can safely remove it from the plant, if it didn't drop off on its own.

(Having seen your comments about ZZs, not having patience to wait ONE MONTH in that ZZ thread, this MAY NOT be the activity for you. Then again, one can always learn.)

I don't know the rest of the answers, but I know one doesn't plant the fruit, one has to open it up & remove the goop from the seeds, or place the whole goopy mess on some paper towels, let them dry off somewhat & then plant them (same way they separate tomato seed from the mucilaginous gook when saving heirloom tomato seeds).

o

Well pirate it is different from rooting cuttings. If they were cutting i would toss them out. But they are on the plant so basically i just wait and wait.they have been developing for two months now so i an willing to wait ten months if i do manage to make a succesful cross and grow the seeds.

Here is how i crossed them, first i took a flower from a white TC and simply rrubbed the anthers on the stigma of a red christmas cactus, and to my amazement the fruit began to expand. I am still wondering if the seeds are fertile of sterile

o

Hopefully can show a photo soon

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here