Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
purpleinopp

Tag says Ficus benjamina but looks like a Philo

Another Philo? Obviously not Ficus benjamina like the tag says!

{{gwi:90520}}

{{gwi:90521}}

{{gwi:90522}}

What is that white stuff that store-bought plants always have on them at first? I've been wondering this for so long. Hopefully a few more rains will get rid of it but it stays on some plants a LONG time unless I want to wash each leaf.

Comments (15)

• goddess9
    11 years ago

Anthurium. Not sure of the exact species.

Misplaced tags are my #1 pet peeve. I usually take them out of the soil and lay them on the shelf.

White stains could be hard water stains.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, but Ooooh NO! I'll admit when I've killed this thing. Hope I get a flower first.

I don't usually mind missing/wrong tags, but now look what I've done. Hoping this story has a different ending!

I didn't know leaves could get hard water stains, interesting. Thanks for the info!

• goddess9
    11 years ago

What did you do to it that may have killed it?

I hope so, too. Keep us posted!

I'm almost 100% certain they can. They're really annoying. :(

Original Author
    11 years ago

I haven't done anything to this plant but water it when it got fully dry. I've killed a bunch of these before but if, as I hope, the problem was not enough light, that shouldn't be a problem here in AL. A plant I really like but would have been hesitant to spend money on (even $2.50) if I had known what it was first. Nobody told me to buy an incorrectly labeled plant, which I knew it was.

That would make sense (hard water deposit) why the rain doesn't wash it off well, if at all. Surprised I'm not seeing more of that from using the hose.

Thanks again!

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    11 years ago

There are lots of ways to clean those stubborn spots off. I've used a soft cloth and a solution of an oil based true soap such as Dr. Bonner 's, Green Mountain liquid, or even Murphy 's. A gentle rubbing while holding the leaf in the palm of your hand will do the trick. I suggest that you clean both sides of the leaves. Deposits like that can clog the stomata (pores), most of which are located on the bottom of the leaf.

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

Purple, yep, your new plant is Anthurium. Never trust tags in big box stores. Most are generic reading, Tropical Plant. lol. Customers often remove a tag then place in a different pot.

They aren't the easiest plants, but not the most difficult either.
    Anthurium should do well in your location.

Will you summer outdoors?

I'm not sure of its species, but it resembles A. 'Red Hot.' Thinner leaf types do not like direct, summer sunlight.
    During growing season, they are thirsty.
    Mine are set in the sink until soil is completely drenched. 'When I'm not feeling lazy, lol'

Spots can be water stains or chemical residue.
    Wash leaves with soapy water, rinse well, then dry with a soft cloth. That should do it. Toni

Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, guys! Washing leaves is on my list, not real high up, but it's on there. Most of it seems to be on the top of the leaves. Pls send good vibes to this plant, thanks!

• pirate_girl
    11 years ago

I agree about an Anthurium. I don't have great luck w / these myself, yet recently allowed another one in who had cart jumped me, while I looked away for a moment.

I split mine in 2 & am trying half in Hydro, maybe I'll have better luck there.

These are Aroids Purple, maybe you & I should BOTH go to the Aroid Forum & read up on Anthuriums, I'm getting tired of killing them.

• pirate_girl
    11 years ago

Hey Rhizo,

Hiya, thanks for the tips that quite useful. I rarely do it but am pleased to learn safest ways.

• variegatednancy1
    11 years ago

Sometimes greenhouses spray for any possibility of bugs before sending a shipment. This could be residue from spraying--or,as you said, it may just be from water.

Nancy

Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the replies!

...go to the Aroid Forum & read up on Anthuriums.
    I guess so, hopefully we will succeed! That does give me hope since most of my plants, as I'm learning, are Aroids. Apparently I like them a lot. Just hope it doesn't "sense my fear" and go for the kill! LOL.

...recently allowed another one in who had cart jumped me, while I looked away for a moment.
    Uh-huh, suuuuure! Did it have a flower already?

v-nancy, that may be it, guess that's probably a good thing, it sucks to bring home buggies!

Toni, sorry, forgot to answer your question before. Yes, this is outside. It's on the east end but if it keeps not burning, I might move it to the west end, a little more intense. What do you think?

Original Author
    11 years ago

The Aroid forum needs some upbeat music or something, kinda sleepy in there...

Original Author
    11 years ago

Lookin good so far for this one, 2 new leaves

{{gwi:90523}}

Original Author
    11 years ago

I think this is going 2 make 2 flowers...? The taller, skinnier things look just like the previous 2 new leaves that have opened (while they were forming,) but the shorter, fatter things are different. Hoping they're going to be spathes! (Hoping that's the right word.) I've bought these with the "flower" already on, but never had one grow a flower in my presence.

{{gwi:90524}}

{{gwi:90525}}

• goddess9
    11 years ago

Looks like it. My spathes come out from the base of the leaves. Good job!

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville