Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
davesplant

Pleomele- losing leafs after 2days of purchase

davesPlant
10 years ago

Hey all,

So I recently purchased this plant. 2 days after, it began losing its leafs.. I just moved it from my window where it was getting medium to direct light to a stand where it get filtered light..
Since getting it I've watered it twice. Checking that it was dry before doing so..

Any advice to prevent this Pleomele from going bare is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Comments (19)

• birdsnblooms
    10 years ago

Hi Dave,

Your Pleomele/Song of India variegata, is beautiful...but very difficult.

I have the semi-variegated Pleomele which,, for some reason thrives on semi-neglect.
    The golden variegated is less hardy. Requires work.

What type of light/climate was it getting where your purchased?
    If it was sitting on a shelf longer than 3-months, can you duplicate conditions?

Over the years, I've killed a half dozen. :(

The last Song I had did better in lower light, 'not shady, but not direct either.'
    It lived longer than previous songs, but during winter, kicked the bucket.

Your plant needs higher humidity than green and semi-variegated Pleomeles.

Regular leaf showers, even during summer months.

Will it be summered in or outdoors?

As far as leaf drop, I believe it will adapt after a certain amount of time.
    I also believe, larger specimens do better than small.
    How tall is your plant? What about pot size?

Good luck. Check for disease or insects. Soil should be well-draining, but I'd wait a bit before repotting. The shock may be too much,, especially if it was shipped.

Toni

• davesPlant
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hey Toni"

Thanks for the reply...
    I've also notice, if you look closely at the right stem, a brownish color forming...
    As I researched this, others claim its signs of over watering. And affected stems should be cut. You're thoughts on this.

It was purchased at HomeDepot.. Lighting wasn't direct. Remembering this is why I moved it to the stand its on now...

Maybe I should give 3 weeks or so to adjust. What do you think?

Thanks

This post was edited by davesPlant on Wed, Jun 19, 13 at 18:12

• tropicbreezent
    10 years ago

Pleomele was moved into Dracaena a few years ago, nothing was left in that genus.

I have a couple of those, they grow bushier than some of the other Dracaenas. But they're out in the sun. Poor drainage doesn't seem to worry them. Other plants around my tallest one (3 metres) show signs of poor drainage but the Dracaena just powers along regardless. At the moment it's going into flower. They produce masses of flowers and the fragrance is to die for. In nature a lot of Dracaenas grow in soggy conditions.

These do drop lower leaves as new ones grow out the top. In drier conditions you can end up with a lot of bare stem. And the change from high humidity (the nursery) to a drier atmosphere (the house) can cause that as well. It's good to make sure it has adequate water.

At this stage I wouldn't worry too much and just let it settle in. In the photo it looks great. But if the falling leaves were a problem 2 days to me seems a bit too quick to get that response. I'd say any problem would have been there already when you bought it.

• birdsnblooms
    10 years ago

Morning,

Dave, are you talking about the stem or a leaf?
    I see a stem, but it looks normal to me.
    I've never heard of stems browning from over-watering.
    Does the stem feel soft or firm? If firm, there's no problem.
    Brittle, dark brown stems are another story. Without green inside. Of what I can see, your stem doesn't look brittle at all.

Yes, I agree about allowing your plant to adjust.

Hey Tropic..It's still early. Although I've been up since 7am, I'm still asleep. lol.

Are you saying Pleomele is no longer Dracaena? I've always known Pleomele to be D. reflexa. No???

You said 'if leaves were a problem 2 days after purchase, etc.'
    As I mentioned, over the years I had half-a-dozen, golden Pleomele.
    Same happened to my plalnts..leaves dropped 2-3 days after purchase.

Toni

• tropicbreezent
    10 years ago

Tony, everything in the genus Pleomele was shifted into genus Dracaena. We have a native one here growing wild,. Was Pleomele angustifolia but now is Dracaena angustifolia, that was when I found out the change had been made.

I wouldn't expect the leaves to experience adverse conditions and then fall off in 2 days. Perhaps a big change in humidity (and/or even other conditions) as the plant moved from the wholesalers to the store. 2 days seems just too short (unless you microwaved it or something, LOL).

Mine budding up, yesterday.

• stewartsjon
    10 years ago

Stem on the right - or top ;-D - is rotting away, as you can see the middle is brown. I bet you the stem feels a bit soft. It appears the plant is two stems, the other may be fine.

Song of Indias need good light, if I'm honest I prefer Song of Jamaicas (green variegated) but I do have two Indias at home. Keep it pretty dry and see how you get on. I'm not sure about the humidity comment above (with respect) as I've kept them in very dry conditions quite happily. In my experience the crucial factor with Indias is lots of light.

Just for interest, here's a couple I planted at a client's a while back - 3.25m high!

This post was edited by StewartsJon on Fri, Jun 21, 13 at 9:37

• birdsnblooms
    10 years ago

Morning,

Tropic, microwave plants, LOL

Think I read Pleomele's name changed to Dracaena in the 90's.

Don't know if you trust desert-tropical site, but according to the authors: Pleomele, Song of India
    Scientific Name: Dracaena reflexa Lam
    Synonym: Lomatophyllum reflexum, Pleomele reflexa
    Family: Agavaceae

In spite of the correct name, if one intends to purchase this plant, it's normally sold as Song of India oMorning,

Tropic..

Microwaved plants. LOL.

Would you happen to recall the year you discovered the name change?
    The one and only time I saw Dracaena written on a label happened to be at a local green house, Jamaican Gardens.

Why are plant names changed often??? An enigma, for sure.

Tropic, your Dracaena is very unique. I've never seen Pleomele/Dracaena with foliage such as yours.
    Then again, all your plants ar unique, beautiful.

I like. If I was still buying plants, I'd be on a hunt after submitting this post. lol.

You're right about two-days, 'losing foliage,' being short. But, it happened..w/o nuking. :)
    Each D. Golden, dropped leaves immediately.
    The last Dracaena I purchased was from Jamaican Gardens...a humid, airy, bright green house.
    Although it was summer, high humidity, 'we don't use a/c' sun was very strong, and the room super hot.
    As usual, leaves dropped. I don't over-water, so that wasn't the problem. I believe the reason is climate change. Who knows, maybe it missed its relatives. :)

Are blooms fragrant? The few Dracaenas that bloom start budding in winter.

Stewart..Wow, now that's some plant!
    It's beautiful, as is the room.
    Your clients have an amazing house, although I can't see other rooms, I can only imagine.

You've done an amazing job tending their plants. Toni

• tropicbreezent
    10 years ago

I checked and the first publication of the name change for D. reflexa was 1977. It's in the family Asparagaceae. These are the currently listed synonyms.

Lomatophyllum reflexum (Lam.) Bojer, Hortus Maurit.: 349 (1837).

Cordyline reflexa (Lam.) Endl., Cat. Horti Vindob. 1: 148 (1842).

Dracaena reflexa var. typica Baker, J. Linn. Soc., Bot. 14: 103 (1875), nom. inval.

Draco reflexa (Lam.) Kuntze, Revis. Gen. Pl. 2: 710 (1891).

Pleomele reflexa (Lam.) N.E.Br., Bull. Misc. Inform. Kew 1914: 279 (1914).

These are the currently accepted varieties.

Dracaena reflexa Lam., Encycl. 2: 324 (1786).

Dracaena reflexa var. angustifolia Baker, J. Linn. Soc., Bot. 14: 531 (1875).

Dracaena reflexa var. bakeri (Scott-Elliot) H.Perrier, Notul. Syst. (Paris) 5: 97 (1936).

Dracaena reflexa var. brevituba H.Perrier, Notul. Syst. (Paris) 5: 101 (1936).

Dracaena reflexa var. condensata H.Perrier, Notul. Syst. (Paris) 5: 94 (1936).

Dracaena reflexa var. lanceolata H.Perrier, Notul. Syst. (Paris) 5: 102 (1936).

Dracaena reflexa var. linearifolia Ayres ex Baker, J. Linn. Soc., Bot. 14: 531 (1875).

Dracaena reflexa var. nervosa H.Perrier, Notul. Syst. (Paris) 5: 102 (1936).

Dracaena reflexa var. occidentalis H.Perrier, Notul. Syst. (Paris) 5: 98 (1936).

Dracaena reflexa var. parvifolia Thouars ex H.Perrier, Notul. Syst. (Paris) 5: 96 (1936).

Dracaena reflexa var. reflexa.

Dracaena reflexa var. salicifolia (Regel) Baker, J. Linn. Soc., Bot. 14: 531 (1875).

Dracaena reflexa var. subcapitata H.Perrier, Notul. Syst. (Paris) 5: 99 (1936).

Dracaena reflexa var. subelliptica H.Perrier, Notul. Syst. (Paris) 5: 100 (1936).

• tropicbreezent
    10 years ago

Toni, I still suspect it will have been the change from high to low humidity. Inside houses always tends to be drier. A lot of tropical plants will have that response. As air begins to dry it signals the start of the dry season (winter) and they'll go into defensive mode meaning they'll jettison 'excess baggage', usually older leaves. Temperature staying high doesn't make much difference. We have an average of over 350 days per year over 30C. And the few days below 30C are during summer.

Dracaena blooms are very fragrant, pervading the whole neighbourhood. My different ones flower at different times, always dry season (winter). So together with the Sansevieria we have very fragrant nights for months on end.

Those specimens in the house look great, really suited to that architecture. They must be older plants that've been heavily pruned over the years. The stems are quite thick. My larger has never been pruned and is a lot more sprawlier and taller. It's up to 4.1 metres now. The setting is very different. It'll be a mass of flowers soon.

• birdsnblooms
    10 years ago

Morning,

Tropic...Asparagaceae? Big difference from Agavaceae. What the heck? lol. Desert-Tropicals better update.

Tropic, I agree 100% less humidity has a LOT to do with felled leaves. No dispute there. :)

What I meant... we don't use a/c or c/a..our source of breeze, 'if any,' are open windows. So, when temps are warm/hot and humid, inside temp and humidity is the same as outside.. Maybe I'm not explaining right??

Oh yes, Dracaeana flowers are very fragrant. The few times my Dracaenas' bloomed, the entire house smeller, 'purty.' :)
    Seriously, flower scent is enticing. Semi-sweet.

I had no idea Dracaenas bloomed until we went to a gh in Chicago. 80's.
    I detected a sweet scent so walked around until I found the source. There stood a lone, D. Corn Plant with lovely, white/yellow flowers. Beautiful. I sniffed and sniffed. 15-minutes spent sniffing.
    Then one winter my Dracaena bloomed. I was awe-struck.

My Dracanea reflexa, 'not gold' isn't getting enough light, so it hasn't bloomed in years.

Tropic, I have a question for you..Maybe I should start a new thread, but my question is Dracaena related.
    Are you familiar with D. surculosa/Florida Beauty?

Like Hoyas, I cannot detect Sansevieria scents.

Tropic, is that a pic of your back yard? If so,, wanna trade houses?? :)
    Fantastic scenery.

Your Gingers are doing great. I see the trunk of a palm. Lucky, lucky.

What's the tall plant behind D. reflexa? Actually,there's two tall plants behind Dracaena...what are they?

Do you water, or let God/Mother Nature do the job?

Toni

• davesPlant
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hey guys,
    so after 2 weeks, the pic I provided shows how well the plants been doing...
    I just moved it from my living room to the bedroom window (outside)
    Can it revive or is there something I could do to help it.

Thanks

• stewartsjon
    10 years ago

Bin!

• plantomaniac08
    10 years ago

Sorry, but this is why I've avoided buying one of these. I'm not good with "temperamental" plants; I consider these temperamental. :\ Every time I've seen them at BBS, they were on clearance weeks later looking just like yours. I'd suggest finding a plant that's better suited for you (even the most green thumbs have a plant/plants that they just can't seem to grow). Not to say you couldn't try again, but if you're looking to care for a plant that's less moody, I'd suggest something else.

Planto

• birdsnblooms
    10 years ago

StewartsJon, shame. :)

Dave..I'd definately remove brown leaves.

I might have asked before, 'too lazy to scroll up, lol,' but did you repot? If so, what size is container? Old and new. Pot looks large.

Gold Pleomele needs more humidity than green. Is your area humid?
    Oh heck, I better scroll and reread. lol.

Okay, reread above info.

How much sun is your plant getting now that it's outside? Hopefully, not direct. Plant needs acclimating. Start in shade than gradually move to a brighter location.

I rarely water my Pleomele. It's in an 8" pot, root-bound, and gets a drink every other week or when I remember to water. It's adjacent south windows, but obstructed by plants in window. Honestly, it need more sun.
    A healthy Pleomele's leaf is usually 7-10".

Check your plant daily now that it's outdoors. Allow soil to dry, 'crumbly' between waterings.
    I'd spray leaves, too. Daily misting.
    Are you in a rainy area? Has it been sunny or cloudy?

As a last resort..I've done this with high-humidity plants.
    Set Pleomele in a clear plastic bag. Cut bag bottom so water can drain properly.
    If a plant is in plastic, it musn't be in direct light.
    As of the last 5-6 months, I've kept 2 Peperomias in plastic..so far so good.

Good luck, Dave

Toni

• davesPlant
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hey guys thanks for the rep,y...
    I must admit I had the plant next to my AC... I'm evil...
    As of yesterday I moved it outside my window where it's warm and humid, to see if the plant bounces back...
    @Toni.. The pot is small. I guess in its infancy stage.. It's in Half direct sunlight as of yesterday.. I clipped off the brown leaf and cut back the stem where brown was showing... I'll post another pic with the results in 2 days..
    I guess I'll try the plastic bag over it and see what that does..

Thanks Toni for your help. I rather help the plant and learn in the process than just throw it away..

Will keep you guys posted...

• davesPlant
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hey guys thanks for the rep,y...
    I must admit I had the plant next to my AC... I'm evil...
    As of yesterday I moved it outside my window where it's warm and humid, to see if the plant bounces back...
    @Toni.. The pot is small. I guess in its infancy stage.. It's in Half direct sunlight as of yesterday.. I clipped off the brown leaf and cut back the stem where brown was showing... I'll post another pic with the results in 2 days..
    I guess I'll try the plastic bag over it and see what that does..

Thanks Toni for your help. I rather help the plant and learn in the process than just throw it away..

Will keep you guys posted...

• teengardener1888
    10 years ago

I cant imagine a tempermental Draecana species, exept for maybe D glossfeldiana. I believe this species name is outdatd also. For those Taxonomist who want to attack me, BRING IT. I have been watching the taxonomical bancher on this discussion. it is confusing and funny

• subtropix
    10 years ago

I have not managed to keep one alive either. Might try one again though given this challenging rep.

• tropicbreezent
    10 years ago

Teen, do you mean Dracaena godseffiana? That's a synonym of Dracaena surculosa. Hard to imagine it as being "tempermental". I have a number of clumps that get totally out of control. I have to butcher them mercilessly to keep them back. They flower prolifically and the fragrance is to die for. But they also seed prolifically and spread seedlings around that are a pain to weed out. I think hell will freeze over before those get anywhere near a threatened or endangered list, LOL.

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler