Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
purpleinopp

The kitty effect

Awww kitties are so cute... but I really dislike cats. What's the point? It's what came to mind when at WM the other day I made my usual high-speed cursory glance around the garden department - the section of tiny house plants, whatever might be on clearance. Honey asked why I didn't look at the big, "nicer-looking green things." Without thinking I said, "I don't like the cats."

Without ever having the particular thought before, I've always been completely disinterested in big or mature plants as new acquisitions. Purple leaves or pretty flowers would be an exception, but even with most variegated plants, the little "kitty" ones are just so cute and that's what I really like - to see them develop into a big ol' cat of a plant. I have a few nice old cats that I've developed a deep plantaffection for, but often I get too busy chopping parts of plants off to play with to ever get a really large plant, maybe I just get bored with some when they turn into cats.

Are you attracted to strange cats? Or do you usually bring home kitties?

Comments (19)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    11 years ago

I shared your analogy with my cat....a REAL cat. He wonders, "Is she going to come here and begin chopping me into pieces? "

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

Purple, you are soooo funny. LOL.

Except for grafted Citrus, 1 grafted Hibiscus and 1 grafted Gardenia, all were started as kittens. A few were embryos. :)

Sure, I can adopt small Gardenias, Hibiscus and Citrus 'breeds,' but prefer grafted, (reasons) and prefer the looks of tree-like/standard cats. I do not know how to graft/neuter, nor do I have the supplies/stitches for grafting/spaying, including root-stock/scalpel.

However, I have 3 Hibs and 2 Gardenias that were adopted as kittens.

The remainder were adopted kittens.

It's a good, sentimental feeling watching a seed/embryo sprout, or kitten mature. I feel a nurturing, mothering-like closeness with kittens.

When thinking of adopting, I might browse cats briefly, but spend a good length of time inspecting kittens, individually..kittens have different personalities.

Kittens are usually in my budget, whereas cats gnaw up the green like cat nip.

It's important, cats and/or kittens are on a healthy diet/fertilizer, a fresh bowl of water/water, and when problems arise given correct medication/insecticides. Toni

11 years ago

I shared your analogy with my cat....a REAL cat. He wonders, "Is she going to come here and begin chopping me into pieces? "

• Lamora
    11 years ago

I myself like the "kitties" too, to cats. I like watching them grow into Cats. But there is always that "one" cat that comes along that i think about adopting. Plus I have more room for kittens than cats-- lol

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

Rhizo, lol. Poor kitty-cat.

Marj, great point. Seems everytime I adopt a new kitty, I tend to forget one day kitty will turn into a lion. lol.

• lavonn
    11 years ago

I'm Fretting over my Newest Kitties.....wondering if they'll ever live to be Cats!

• flowerpottipper
    11 years ago

I like both..some plants are just more beautiful when bigger, and they look dinky and unattractive when small...but some plants look attractive when small...it just depends on the plant, atleast to me it does.

I also have to be careful on the size of plants I buy also, I think I've just about reached my limit on the bigger plants with my available space (and I also have to keep in mind that these are gonna get bigger eventually)..

There's just too many things to consider on the size of the plant I want...I have to think: where is it gonna go? Can I give it the light it needs? And is there room in the spot it needs to go? But then again if it's on the list of plants I really want, I don't think about it til I get it home LOL...

-fpt

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Interesting responses!

Rhizo, if your cat comes around, he/she may be in danger! Did you notice what I did to the Begonias my neighbor gave me? Not that I wouldn't have otherwise, but they were rotting AND dessicated at the same time. Never seen anything like that before, emergency surgery was all I knew to do. Everything looks like it's still alive so far... but I can't keep all of these kitties!

I am also getting concerned about where all of these plants are going to go this winter. I tried to count the pots on the front porch and kept getting distracted, but there's around 70. Really got out of control this year!

Meow.

11 years ago

purple, I didn't see a post about begonia surgery. What's the name of the thread, so I can go lookie.

By the way, to carry this kitten analogy further, it appears that you are well on your way to becoming a hoarder. ;-)

Original Author
    11 years ago

I know, I'll try to get a grip!

There wasn't a particular post about surgery, my neighbor gave me some plants and I posted before & after pics of them.

1 2 3

Some of the felines en masse:

• riptidefrog
    11 years ago

I am flat out jealous! Your plants look awesome. One day i hope to have a great big porch and the room for so many plants!

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

Purple, your plants look great.
    I tried clicking on the photo but it won't open.

Is that a Begonia hanging on the right side of the porch?
    Also, what are the two 'purple' plants under the hanging plant/Begonia?

One more..what's the plant in the black pot standing solo? Gotta love summer. Toni

Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, riptide! This house isn't much but the front porch is awesome!!!

Toni, yes that's some kind of cane Begonia. Under is a Tradescantia zebrina.

{{gwi:90556}}

{{gwi:90557}}

Not sure which black pot you are asking about, there's a tall red Cordyline toward the back and a little Dief over to the right, kind of in front. Here's both from a diff. angle.

{{gwi:90558}}

{{gwi:90559}}

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

Purple, your plants look great.
    I tried clicking on the photo but it won't open.

Is that a Begonia hanging on the right side of the porch?
    Also, what are the two 'purple' plants under the hanging plant/Begonia?

One more..what's the plant in the black pot standing solo? Gotta love summer. Toni

Original Author
    11 years ago

Wow this is weird, and happening a lot!

• aseedisapromise
    11 years ago

I guess I am weird, but I really like cats. I volunteer at an animal shelter, and the cattery is my favorite place. Cats have their act together, kittens don't. I don't really buy mature plants, though. But I really enjoy seeing a well grown specimen, either mine, or someone else's. It's not very often that people give a plant what it needs for a long time to get that big beautiful cat, and don't end up with a dead brown thing in a container of old, mineralized potting soil.

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    11 years ago

This is The Yoko Effect

{{gwi:73646}}

• jessiec777
    11 years ago

haha awesome picture

Original Author
    11 years ago

LOL no doubt! Thanks for the chuckle!