Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
purpleinopp

Is this Homalomena?

I can't tell from googling. Leaves feel different from Dief, thicker and firmer, although it's similar looking. Also looks like it could be more variegated. Got it a couple weeks ago, not burning in morning sun until about 11, new leaves are coming out.

Oh-so-helpful generic tag is a hoot! It says "indoor foliage" on the front and on the back I learn this plant should grow 1-10 ft tall, 1-5 ft wide, and it will die below 50 or above 80 degrees. (It was outside in the covered section at WM.) Besides being the world's most temperature-sensitive plant, what do you think?

{{gwi:90624}}

{{gwi:90625}}

{{gwi:90626}}

Comments (23)

• goddess9
    11 years ago

Looks like an Aglaonema to me.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks! That was my 2nd guess but couldn't remember how to spell it well enough for google to help.

• nancy_pnwzone8
    11 years ago

i agree, it looks like an aglaonema. i'm not sure of the variety though. it might be one of the species.

cheers,

nancy

• pirate_girl
    11 years ago

I think it's more of a Dracena or Diffenbachia, than an Aglaonema judging by the very faint pattern on the leaves. Perhaps give it a bit more sun & see if the leaf pattern darkens up?

• tropicbreezent
    11 years ago

I'd say definitely not Dracaena, my guess would be Aglaonema rather than Dieffenbachia. That said, there's been so much breeding of those two that there is a large range of variation. I've got several Aglaonemas (including a new pink variety) and this would sit comfortably amongst them.

Original Author
    11 years ago

Well now I don't feel so inadequate about not knowing what it is.

PG, you're thinking what I was - hoping it might get more distinctly variegated but I have no experience with this plant.

Thanks for the replies!

• nancy_pnwzone8
    11 years ago

purple,

if you look at the fourth picture on the PATSP blog page on aglaonemas, you'll see a nearly spitting image of your plant. down in the comments, there are a couple of suggestions of what the plant id is.

the species ags, which is what i think your plant is, can be a bit more "stalky" or "caney" than the newer modern hybrids. this is because the new hybrids have been bred to sucker a lot more. so, they'll fill out a pot better, rather than simply growing 'up'. they will also get 'caney' but because there are more growth stems, you don't tend to notice the one you've just removed as much.

i think the species look nice as well, it just means that when too many bottom leaves have been shed, you might want to cut the top off a few inches above soil level, and then root the top. i've had good luck with both the top rooting and the bottom sprouting new growth.

hope this helps,

nancy

ps, the variegation on most of my green ags doesn't seem to change much with light levels though you can certainly give it a try.

Here is a link that might be useful: PATSP blog page on Aglaonemas

Original Author
    11 years ago

Nancy, thanks! I have read that article before, thanks for remind me about it. Ok, I admit, I had fantasies about mine turning the pretty colors of the first one on the page by getting more or less or some magical combination of sun. Thanks for keepin' it real.

...had good luck with both the top rooting and the bottom sprouting new growth. I like plants like that, fun to play with.

Original Author
    11 years ago

Not big enough to play with yet, but the new leaves on this are very pretty and are showing more variegation although I think this plant could use slightly less sun, some of the leaves have gotten kind of washed-out. Surprisingly, it doesn't seem to be from EA, nothing like the 3 they show on their website. Who else has one like this?

A Coleus sprouted in the pot.

• greenlarry
    11 years ago

Its a Dieffenonema, or a Aglaobachia! Cool plant!

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

Purple, your plant looks like A. 'Emerald Gem' or A. 'Emerald Beauty.'

Used to be the most common Aglao in IL, 'years ago,' but don't see it sold locally anymore.

Of course, either Emeralds could be wrong as tags go.
    The only difference, Emeralds had more markings which could be a matter of light/humidity. Toni

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

A seed..Yep, your plant is definately Homalomena, and very pretty specimen, too.

Does it bloom?

It looks rather tall..I thought they were small plants? I only had one, years ago..it's long gone..

Good point about being a Gem to someone..lol..Toni

Original Author
    11 years ago

Sorry, this was ID'd as Aglaonema a while back in the thread, just wasn't sure which kind & wanted to show an update pic. Glad you posted the pic though, aseedis. It's really a good looking plant!!

I wonder if too much light is making the leaves stand straight up in a bunch instead of laying out more, like they were when I first got it. Will find out soon when it comes inside.

• aseedisapromise
    11 years ago

Yes, I don't know why I posted really. Maybe just to have the pic there for posterity, or for comparison.

The H gem has bloomed, but they are not very pretty, and kind of down in the plant where they are easy to miss. It seems to do it in the winter. It's not tall really. It's pretty well behaved, growing in a nice clump. It's about 16 inches tall. Is that tall?

Original Author
    11 years ago

I don't know, never had either until recently, and still no Homalo. Repotted this today, put a little space between. Took one out to give away and the 4 in the pot have some room to breathe now. Will take pics tomorrow. Repotting all day.

• asleep_in_the_garden
    10 years ago

Emerald gem,right?

• asleep_in_the_garden
    10 years ago

Double post

{{!gwi}}

This post was edited by asleep_in_the_garden on Mon, Sep 2, 13 at 15:48

• plantomaniac08
    10 years ago

Purple,
    I just bought the same Agl the other day from Wal-Mart, but sorry, I don't know what cultivar it is either.

Planto

Original Author
    10 years ago

Whatever its' name, just took a pic. I don't think it's terribly happy, kind of like when I got it with the leaves in a better position. Of the 4 kinds I have it's the least vigorous (with pieces of each in the ground to compare, but different spots, so, not a direct comparison.) The leaves haven't gotten much more noticeably variegated, though this may certainly not be its' preferred spot, this is the epitome of its' happy appearance, and this is what is has to offer regarding variegation, IDK. It was supposed to be a lot more sunny, but the sun disappeared for 2 months. Need to snag a piece to keep before too long...

• plantomaniac08
    10 years ago

Purple,
    Well, I just got mine last week and it already has root rot. -_- Guess I should have left it.

Planto

Original Author
    10 years ago

If the roots can't recover, snap it off, the tip will grow! Taking the root ball out of the pot can help too. I'd set it on some newspaper to dry more quickly, then repot that poor guy! Peat?

• plantomaniac08
    10 years ago

Purple,
    Yeah, it was in straight peat. I repotted it into some fast draining soil as soon as I got home and I didn't see any bad roots when I was repotting. I guess I did something wrong in the process. Oh well.

Planto