Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need help with my potted calla lily

Posted by greenjesse 6 (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 12, 11 at 15:12

I have two calla lilies that I keep as houseplants. The first one I planted as a bulb and have had for a year. It's massive. And it won't bloom. Why won't it bloom? The plant looks great. It continuously gets new leaves but no blooms ever! The other one I bought when it already had a bloom. Soon as I brought it to the house, the bloom started to die. It hasn't bloomed since! It's doing well also. What is my problem? They both sit at south facing window. Plenty of sunshine. I water them once a week when the soil dries and fertilize it every two weeks. Please someone tell me what to do!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need help with my potted calla lily

I have never tried to grow mine as a houseplant. I would suspect that it is not getting enough light. Mine go outside every summer. I have mine in Morning sun and I give it 1/2 strength fert every week.

When I first purchased it did not bloom for 2 years.

o

I will start fertilizing it a little more. I have another question, when it does bloom, how long does the bloom last and is it like regular lilies in that it only blooms once a growing season?

o

The blooms last a long time I say about two weeks. Mine blooms all summer outside.

o

GreenJesse -
I just 'adopted' a nice sized plant, it had no blooms and hadn't bloomed for the owner for years. I got a big chunk of the division. I planted in a good, rich soil, into a pot bigger than the rootball, and put it in a western window where it gets nice bright yet slightly filtered light. Within a few weeks, I had a shoot, and now it's blooming. Looks great. I do not fertilize. Anything. Ever. I cut off any yellowing leaves and water when the leaves begin to tip downward. (My house is never cooler than 72 in the summer and no hotter than 78)

Hope that helps.

Amy

o

Personally, like marquest, I would dig a hole and plant them outside. When frost kills the leaves, dig up the bulbs (which are actually rhizomes) and store until spring.

It sounds like your plant may have produced so many new bulbs that the pot is too crowded with them. And if it's been a year, new soil is probably warranted. It may also need watering more often if the soil is becoming dry. They like to be moist. Make sure your fertilizer has a lower first number (the N - like 3-5-5 - just an example, this may or may not be a real fertilizer number) to make sure it doesn't get too busy making only leaves.

This site which says they can bloom all year may be helpful or interesting. It sounds like the author is growing them outside in a very warm place, so I don't know if the advice there applies to potted plants up north.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here