Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Burro's Tail Repot

Posted by stonesriver 6B Tennessee (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 8, 12 at 15:15

Okay, I'm lazy and didn't do a search so if this has been there, done that I apologize.

But...how does one repot this plant without winding up with bare stems and lots of little green things all over the floor?

Just received a lovely plant but a lot of soil came out of one side of the pot and I need to put it back. How?

Thanks,

Linda

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Burro's Tail Repot

Aaargh! Wrong forum!!!

o

Hoping it's a plant if you're going to repot it! Awww don't feel bad. I don't think anyone would have known it wasn't your intention to post here. If you ask, they will answer. But sometimes I put something in "the right" forum and get very little response. You just never know. And what's a burro tail? I've heard of it, I think, a palmy cactus thing?

o

Mine isn't quite this long but it does hang over the edge of a 6" pot. I'm going to put it in the window on a booster seat so the stems don't touch the shelves.

They're really interesting plants.

Linda

Here is a link that might be useful: Burros/Donkeys Tail

o

I have both the donkey,and the burros tail,i've re-potted them both from time to time.Yes the pieces fall off and don't let that alarm you.Re-pot it and some of those pieces you can stick back in,sort of like filling in bald spots and eventually they will take.Others you can pot up in small pots and share with family and/or friends.

I had to re-pot the donkey tail last year as it had outgrown it's pot and there wasn't hardly any dirt left in it,just roots.

As long as there is dirt,you won't lose your plants,they will amaze you with what they will go thru and keep on growing.
JMO
Kathi

o

OOPS,didn't realize this was the house plant forum.I've never been over here before,i usually hang out at the cactus and succulents,calif gardening,and cottage gardens,plus kitchen table.

So since i'm here,guess i'll have a look around,just what i need another forum to get involved in.LOL,LOL
Kathi

o

Cool!

o

Welcome to House Plants, Kathi. I think you'll find it's replete with people from C&S. I love it here unless soil is "discussed". =:o)

FWIW: This is a plant I bought from Hirts. Not a good thing, that. Shipped in a tied plastic bag which allowed it to roll around, lose soil and defoliate many of the stems. Plus, it looks absolutely nothing like the plant pictured and was not in a hanging pot...and I asked ahead of time if the photo was representative of the plant and told "yes". Not hardly.

But, to their credit, I got a refund without asking and with no questions when I complained.

Linda

PS: What the difference between Donkeys and Burros Tail?

o

Both burro's tail and donkey's tail are the same plant...at least as those common names are USUALLY used. Latin name is Sedum morganianum.

o

Rhizo is right.

There is one more possibility though. Sedum Burrito is a slightly different hybrid of burro/donkey tail, some think a naturally occuring one. It has more rounded ends, whereas burro/donkey have more pointed tips, and burrito's leaves fall off way less than burro/donkey. Hard to say what you have, but if you post a picture someone might be able to tell you which you have.

o

Thank you, CG. Sedum Burrito is the one. Listed as "Burrito Burros Tail."

Linda

o

It's not a plant you want to repot much, if ever! Keep all the little bits that fall off, drop them on the surface of the soil, and eventually you will see tiny roots and they will all start to grow.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here