Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
my new tiny Pachira - photos included

Posted by khourshed none (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 29, 12 at 15:22

Plse. welcome my Pachira. I know it is tiny but it fits nice in my living room.
I am playing very cool. no water for 3 - 4 wk. water from Air condition. The soil drain very fast - no retention
Been with me now for the last 3 months.Not MOVING :-(
i will keep you guys updated

my tiny Pachira

Tiny Pachira close up

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: my new tiny Pachira - photos included

K, very nice braided Pachira.

What size is its pot? Watering 3-4 weeks sounds a little extreme..no?

Guess you're worried about over-watering, but under-watering can be fatal, too.

In winter, my Pachiras are treated as succulents, but summer, w/heat and sun, get more water.

As long as soil dries, it's safe to water.

Does the pot have drainage holes? Toni

o

That is sooooo cute!!!! No advice to give, sorry, just had to say that!

o

That does sound like way too little water. I don't believe these are succulents.

I'd wait for Josh (Greenman) to post as he seems to really know how to grow these.

o

thanks all for stopping by ;-)
hopefulauthor, yes got a drain and the soil drain soooooo fast i did test it.

o

If the soil drains that fast, your risk of overwatering is nearly nonexistent, especially considering your awarness of it and determination to not let it happen. If the pot has lost all its' weight, it's time to water again. In the extreme heat where you are, is the air inside very dry from the air conditioning running a lot?

Just like when I looked at that pic the other day, I have a strong urge to go braid something!

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Thu, Jul 5, 12 at 13:12

I think there's a conflict in the information provided, but first, if your plant isn't growing, it's probably from A) root congestion B) lack of nutrients (.... fertilized lately?) C) over-watering ...... which brings me back to the conflicting information. How can a soil that drains well hold enough water to sustain a plant that size for 4 weeks? It can't - no way. That puts a compromised root system or root function due to soil saturation on the table as a possible reason for the lackluster growth. If it was under-watering, the plant would have shed its leaves as part of the drought response.

So, if you want to see an improvement in growth, I'd look at the ABCs and check off what you're sure it isn't. What's left is probably what it IS and where you might look first to make some remedial effort.

Al

o

I agree with Al....it doesn't look (or sound) like a well-draining soil from the tiny glimpse
I can see in the first pic. How about a pic of the soil by itself? Either way, I think
you can guess that I'll recommend a re-potting.

Thanks, Karen :-)

Josh

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here