Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kate_gardengirl

Rooting question - Umbrella plant

kate_gardengirl
14 years ago

I have water rooted my umbrella plant several times without any problems. Both cuttings did well - the stem left in the soil always branching off with new shoots and the stem that was put in water rooting pretty quickly to be repotted with the parent plant.

I've been entrusted by a friend to fix her umbrella plant that was too top heavy. It was 3 stalks about 12 inches tall each with a beautiful mound of smaller leafed branches. Hope I explained that correctly. I cut the stalks in half putting the top halves in water. The potted halves have already sprouted new growth but the halves in water haven't done a thing. They're still green as can be but no growth - no roots or no growth on the plants. I did this about a month and half ago and the new growth on the potted halves came in about 3 weeks ago.

Her plant is a different variant than mine - her plant has the smaller leaves and stems and the stalks are much thinner than my plant. When I prune and root from my plant the new growth typically starts about the same time as the roots on the plants in water so I'm getting worried. Am I worrying for nothing or is there something I can or should do?

Suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Comments (12)

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    14 years ago

Zone 6 plants that are just coming out of winter normally aren't exactly just bursting with energy, and the amount of stored energy in cuttings has a huge influence in how quickly or in whether or not they root. Be patient. As long as the plants haven't yet collapsed, they will probably root. Change the water every few days, though.

It would have been better, however, if you had stuck the cuttings in a well-aerated and sterile medium (like perlite or screened Turface) to root. Roots that form in water are different and more brittle than those required to grow in soil, so water roots often break or make the transition to soil poorly, which means that you almost start over from scratch when you transition plants to soil. Roots generally appear faster in a well-aerated medium (over water) and there is no transitional shock, which normally puts the plant started in soil weeks ahead of those started in water.

Al

• kate_gardengirl
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Al,

Thanks for the help! You are correct plus when my friend gave me her plant I should have waited a few weeks before taking the cuttings. She kept it in a low light area. I keep mine in almost direct sun. There probably wasn't much energy in the cuttings.

I typically do water rooting since I've never had luck with the soil rootings. I know soil rooting is better for the transplant but I compensate by being pretty careful in the transition process and until I know the new plants have successfully taken to their new home.

Again, thanks

• Marsha Moody
    7 years ago

I took a cutting off a "tree" on Christmas Day and put it in water. After 2 months of nothing happening to it, I was going to throw it out. I looked and now have 4 roots. Small but they are roots.

7 years ago

You might wish to consider very gently moving it to a damp, well-aerated medium at this point in time ..... unless you intend to maintain the plant in some form of water culture.

Al

• Marsha Moody
    7 years ago

Should I wait until they are a little longer?

7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I'd do it now, but - your plant - your call. You might find information that will help you make up your mind in something I wrote (see below). Tissues that form in an aquatic environment are very different from those that form in well-aerated soil.

Rooting
    in Water

Though
    roots form readily and often seemingly more quickly on many plants
    propagated in water, the roots produced are quite different from
    those produced in a soil-like or highly aerated medium (perlite -
    screened Turface - calcined DE - seed starting mix, e.g.).
    Physiologically, you will find these roots to be much more brittle
    than normal roots due to a much higher percentage of aerenchyma (a
    tissue with a greater percentage of intercellular air spaces than
    normal parenchyma).

Aerenchyma
    tissue is filled with airy compartments. It usually forms in already
    rooted plants as a result of highly selective cell death and
    dissolution in the root cortex in response to hypoxic conditions in
    the rhizosphere (root zone). There are 2 types of aerenchymous
    tissue. One type is formed by cell differentiation and subsequent
    collapse, and the other type is formed by cell separation without
    collapse ( as in water-rooted plants). In both cases, the long
    continuous air spaces allow diffusion of oxygen (and probably
    ethylene) from shoots to roots that would normally be unavailable to
    plants with roots growing in hypoxic media. In fresh cuttings placed
    in water, aerenchymous tissue forms due to the same hypoxic
    conditions w/o cell death & dissolution.

Note
    too, that under hypoxic (airless - low O2 levels) conditions,
    ethylene is necessary for aerenchyma to form. This parallels the fact
    that low oxygen concentrations, as found in water rooting, generally
    stimulate trees (I'm a tree guy) and other plants to produce
    ethylene. For a long while it was believed that high levels of
    ethylene stimulate adventitious root formation, but lots of recent
    research proves the reverse to be true. Under hypoxic conditions,
    like submergence in water, ethylene actually slows down adventitious
    root formation and elongation.

If
    you wish to eventually plant your rooted cuttings in soil, it is
    probably best not to root them in water because of the frequent
    difficulty in transplanting them to soil. The brittle "water-formed”
    roots often break during transplant & those that don't break are
    very poor at water absorption and often die. The effect is equivalent
    to beginning the cutting process over again with a cutting in which
    vitality has likely been reduced.

If
    you do a side by side comparison of cuttings rooted in water &
    cuttings rooted in soil, the cuttings in soil will always (for an
    extremely high percentage of plants) have a leg up in development on
    those moved from water to a soil medium for the reasons outlined
    above.

Al

• Marsha Moody
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Any suggestion on soil? I usually use miracle grow, but not loving it. Or size pot? Type? I want to have a green thumb but it's only sort of turning green. I do awesome with just add ice orchids

7 years ago

Your soil choice plays a very large part in how much of it's genetic potential a plant will ever be able to realize. While nearly every factor that affects plants has the potential to be it's undoing, by far the highest % of problems for which people are here in search of remediation are a result of poor root health. The triangle formed by soil choice, watering habits, and nutrition probably has the most impact on your plant's root health (along with light), so if you have to shortchange yourself when it comes to learning about growing proficiently, try your best to make sure it's not by ignoring soil science or just learning the difference between good/bad soils and how much impact water retention has on root health.

This, has a lot of info about soils
    , and provides an outline/overview, conceptualized, that can help you get to a place where confidence in your ability to keep plants happy leaves you freer to experiment and broaden your understanding. If you find it of value and want to learn more about soils and container growing, this should help a lot.

Al

• Marsha Moody
    7 years ago

I wish I lived someplace where we had a club or classes. So, after reading the links....can you suggest a soul that you like?

• Lisa Dew
    6 years ago

When you root in water you put the stem down right? I have been looking it up and I see alot of posts about cutting the leaves from a stem in half and putting them down in water stem up in the air. I'm confused and new to propagation. I took a clipping from an umbrella plant at work and want to see if I can start my own. Pictures would be great tia

• Marsha Moody
    6 years ago

I took a piece of "tree" and put it cut side down in water. It took from December 25 until February 26th until I saw anything. And then within a week it has all sorts of roots. During that waiting period I also took a leaf cutting and tried the same and nothing happened. I kept that in the water for another month or so after I planted my original just to make sure it took and still nothing so I threw it out.

The plant is flourishing and huge. Patience is the key to that method for this plant.

Good luck