Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What to do with this Schefflera?

Posted by lost.leaf none (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 8, 12 at 15:30

I rescued this Schefflera from the dumpster. It's got new growth already, so it'll make it. Now I need to do something about the form - eek. Obviously it had a hard time getting to the sunlight.

I read that I can prune a Schefflera pretty severely. I'm tempted to cut the big stem all the way back, but that seems pretty drastic.

Any suggestions?

Here is a link that might be useful: Photo of the plant

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What to do with this Schefflera?

I stake up the left branch and tie the branch to the stake.

I may even cut down the right branch to half. It should resprout.

o
RE: What to do with this Schefflera?

Hi & welcome to Gardenweb. That's awesome! Great find! It does look like it has a vigorous will to survive. Do you have other plants? Great job getting it out of "ICU."

What is your goal? To have a single more bushy plant, or would you prefer to have this plant unmolested but holding itself more upright? Sounds like "tommy" has faith Schefs are able to be retrained or strengthened. Do you have an interest in propagating the top if you do prune it?

I'm noticing the pot too. Very decorative but doesn't look like excess water can get out. Is there another pot inside the decorative cachepot?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here