Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rooting Poinsettia Cuttings.....

Posted by ninecrow Midlands, England (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 18, 07 at 15:31

In Oasis, do you think it'll work? I've done 4....
Thanks Guys
NC

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rooting Poinsettia Cuttings.....

I thought oasis was to put cut flowers into to hold them up, is it a rooting medium??

o

trace00969 This from the Passiflora Forum.... I asked about rooting Passion Flowers in it....

Hey NC!!!
This works so well!!!!
Posted by msbatt 7 (My Page) on Wed, Apr 25, 07 at 13:13

I've had the most success in rooting passies using florists' foam ('wet' foam) as my rooting medium. Soak the foam for 10-15 minutes, then cut it into small cubes no more than an inch on a side and place them in a shallow tray with enough water to come half-way up the sides. Cut your passie cuttings into two-node cuttinggs, snipping about a quarter-inch below the bottom node. (Note---it's EXTREMELY important to be certain the 'bottom' node is actually the rootward end, and it's EASY to get confused with passies---always work from the tip down, just to be certain.) Carefully remove the bottom set of leaves, and I usually rreduce the size of the leaves on the top node, too. Dip the bottom end in just a touch of rooting powder, and insert them into the foam until the bottom node is just barely below the surface. Place the tray in bright but indirect light, and keep the foam moist at all tiimes. Once you see the roots coming through the foam, they're ready to pot up. As the roots grow, they'll break down the foam by themselves.

Which is why I thought about trying Poinsettias using this method....

o

It works well with SOME plants, not all....but floral foam has been used as a rooting medium for many years. I would think that poinsettia would do very well with it.

o

Just cruising the forums and found your name again ninecrow. Did you ever try this method of rooting poinsettias? I had never thought of floral foam before. If it worked then maybe I will propagate a few plants like that.

o

Hi Nine, how's Devin?! Mine is o.k. I'd stick with regular potting medium personally. Or Perlite.

o

Short answer to that is No, it didn't work... Might try again, but I'll be shure to do some in regular potting compost... Wonder though if Draven's weak growth last year had something to do with why the cuttings failed....
Any thoughts guy's????????????
NC

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here