Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brittany2960

Help with a money tree

brittany2960
9 years ago

Hello! I'm a noob here :) I've had this tree indoors for about two years now. Lately, I've noticed that it's getting super tall and not being able to support itself at the top. I even have one of those sticks for support but doesn't seem to be strong enough. Leaves are not really growing towards the braided area. I was going to prune it to keep it shorter, but I'm deathly afraid I'm going to kill it! I've already snipped some branches towards the top for replanting, but it still seems weak. How far down towards the braided brown roots can I cut and still keep my tree from dying? Any tips would be greatly appreciated! We bought this at the same time that we bought our new house, so it's very special to us. Thank you!

Comments (3)

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    9 years ago

Hello, and welcome :-)

Does the pot have drainage?

These trees want to grow up and up, and pruning them down is the best way to keep them compact and to encourage new growth. I just pruned about a foot off of mine.

Do you fertilize?

Josh

• brittany2960
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hey josh! Thanks for the response! I was actually going to move it into another pot, this one provides some drainage I guess! I originally planted it with regular potting soil and I do not fertilize. I've given it plant food a few times, but that's it... Still learning! :) what do you suggest on the fertilization side of things? I have clipped some branches, but I'm afraid to cut the thick branches in fear that it won't grow back. I've read a few different things and a lot of the info varies, so figured someone here could give me a personal opinion! :)

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    9 years ago

You can chop them down below the leaves, leaving only a thick cut trunk, and then new growth will appear. Sometimes you'll even get multiple new branches from a single trunk, which is highly desirable (because it fills out the plant).

The pot size is fine, as long as it has a drainage hole and a good mix. A good mix for these is porous and gritty, and doesn't hold much moisture. I use a mix of fir bark (like you'd find in a quality Orchid Mix), Perlite, and red lava rock (scoria). Other ingredients like turface and granite pieces work well to make a durable mix.

I use Oscomote slow-release fertilizer and Foliage Pro 9-3-6, a liquid. You can use Miracle Gro if that's all you have locally.

Josh