Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
teengardener1888

rare orange royalty(llloovve iitt)!!!

teengardener1888
10 years ago

I am pleased to say that I have found the plant I wanted for 8 years............. Philodendron "Orange Prince"

Costed me only 4.50 at lowes. I would pay 20.00 dollars if I had too!!!!

Update: One again, just a link, here is a photo. Cant get photobucket to work properly

Here is a link that might be useful: Looke here

This post was edited by teengardener1888 on Mon, Jun 17, 13 at 16:00

Comments (11)

• plantomaniac08
    10 years ago

Teen,
    Not sure that it's rare (maybe difficult for you to find where you are), but it is pretty!

Planto

• teengardener1888
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Very difficult to find :-)

• plantomaniac08
    10 years ago

Teen,
    That's sad, I have found quite a few of them here lately. :\ At least you finally found one! If I'm not mistaken, in order to keep it producing new leaves in that orange color, they require adequate lighting. Too low, and it will produce green leaves instead of orange ones.

Planto

• greentoe357
    10 years ago

Mine has produced a couple of new leaves for me since I bought it last month. I do not have strong light in my apartment. West facing window with never any direct sun, all diffused, although relatively bright.

• teengardener1888
    Original Author
    10 years ago

A couple of leaves, I thought it was a slow grower. I wonder how tall it grows

• greentoe357
    10 years ago

Well, this is the second one coming out in about a month I've had it, a couple of weeks after the first. The previous leaf is right behind it on the photo. They come out this really beautiful coral color pretty much like in the picture. But in my case (quite possibly because of the lighting conditions) the leaf maintained that color for a relatively short time after that, a few days maybe - then it started gradually greening. It's still pretty, but not even close to the color of this young shoot you see here.

They grow to two feet tall at most, I read.

• birdsnblooms
    10 years ago

Hi Teen...Your P. Prince of Orange, is so colorful and compact.
    Before you know it, it will need staking.
    Glad you found the Philodendron of your dreams after an 8-yrs hunt. They're not sold here either. I ordered mine on Ebay.

I Googled height..the tallest is 4'. Actually, 4' is a decent size..some viney Philos grow too tall..they're a pain staking. They tend to tip over.

While Googling, one nursery, (don't know if we can name nurseries anymore,) has P. Prince of Orange for 35.00! Many moons ago I ordered from this nursery, but prices were reasonable.

What's the plant next to your Philo?

Green, your Philo looks big...is it?
    Actually, direct summer sun burn Philo leaves. Bright-indirect works best. Bright east is perfect. Toni

• greentoe357
    10 years ago

>> Green, your Philo looks big...is it?

No, it's just perspective. I took the pic up close, with the sink and faucet there farther in the back. The largest leaf is 8 inches ex. the length of the stalk. The young shoot is just under 9 inches long from the ground to the tip.

• teengardener1888
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you, Iove this plant. I now want Philodendron Pink Princess

• birdsnblooms
    10 years ago

Morning,

Green, an 8" leaf if fairly large...don't ya think?
    Via the photo, each leaf looks 10-12"....

Teen...you're welcome.
    Do you order online and are we allowed to name nurseries?
    I know one nursery that sells P. Pink Princess..plants are decent sized...larger than most nurseries. LMK. Toni

• tropicbreezent
    10 years ago

You've reminded me I've got one that I planted in an out of the way spot and forgot about. Hope it does well on neglect. I'll have to check it out today, perhaps move it a little centre stage.

Sponsored
Dream Design Construction LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Loudoun County's Innovative General Contractors