Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
asleep_in_the_garden

Not a houseplant,but...

Can anyone help me identify it?

I'm thinking gunnera but not really sure.

Comments (31)

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    9 years ago

Or burdock.

• asleep_in_the_garden
    Original Author
    9 years ago

You amaze me Purp!

Thanks so much!

It's been driving me crazy! :)

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    9 years ago

YW. 'tis the season for this on NTP. LOL, was that a short trip? Did it ever warm up, up there, yet? 96 here today (wiping sweat.)

• plantomaniac08
    9 years ago

Hey, did you ever find that mini Philodendron you were looking for?

Planto

• petrushka (7b)
    9 years ago

i also thought it's a burdock - they are weeds and grow everywhere ;).
    but it can be a rhubarb too, though they usually have rounder leaves, but just as large.
    burdock will have whitish undersides, though. easy to distinguish.

• asleep_in_the_garden
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Purp,
    I'm actually sweating too. It got rather hot today. didn't check the weather or anything,but we've had a bit of rain up here lately and it was a sauna outside. Reminded me of mobile al.

Beth,
    not entirely sure which phil you're trying to remind me of. If it's the one I think you mean,I'll post a pic so we can be sure.

Petrushka,
    Once I had a name I pulled up images for a comparison and I've no doubt. Early on in my arrival to minnesota from the deep south I spied one on the edge of a treeline and was impressed by it. And now one is right outside my window. You're right though...they ARE weeds. wonder how well they transplant?

• gnancyanne
    9 years ago

Petrushka, I'm glad you mentioned rhubarb because I once found this in my garden, and thought it was maybe a volunteer rhubarb. So, I let it keep growing all summer before deciding the leaf stalks were too narrow and didn't look right for it to be rhubarb. It just didn't grow like what I think rhubarb would grow like. But, I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who thinks it looks sort of like rhubarb. Now I know it was burdock, though.

• plantomaniac08
    9 years ago

I think you mentioned it had gotten stashed away somewhere, you couldn't find it, and once you had, you noticed it was rotted? I think I remember it being a tiny leafed Philodendrom if that helps.

Planto

This post was edited by plantomaniac08 on Fri, Jun 20, 14 at 20:54

• lauraeli_
    9 years ago

Burdock is grown as a vegetable in other places. Not sure why it is considered a 'weed' here.

• petrushka (7b)
    9 years ago

sure, they even sell burdock root in asian markets. although it might be a diff variety for eating, don't know.
    and it is actually a medicinal herb - it's a blood/liver cleanser.
    a weed is what grows everywhere by the road-side :). it's unbelievably common. both here and in europe. perhaps, asia too?
    asleep,
    that looks like philo xanadu.

• asleep_in_the_garden
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Pretty sure I know which one you're talking about now,Beth. It's my poor prince of orange that had indeed nearly rotted completely away before I pulled it up out of the crud it was in and let the whole thing air out while encapsulated to prevent drying out completely. Teeny tiny leaves are growing from a few spots so if it makes any kind of comeback,it can possibly be divided into multiple plants one day...possibly...assuming I don't kill it. Had to go look to see if it was still there hidden behind a bagged dief that's also in rough shape. Sad to say that the little phil prince hasn't done a lot of growing at all since I first noticed the starts of new growth. The tiny leaves just sit there doing next to nothing...mocking me! lol

Lauraeli,
    I did some googling and read up on preparation and have to say that now I'm curious to try making something tasty out of one of the smaller ones down the way a bit from my little area. Soy and sesame oil come to mind...maybe a bit of garlic chili paste too. Yum! :)

Hey Purp,..
    Since you're in NTP mode,can you identify the plant in the pic I posted last? If you can,it's all yours(okay...I was sending it anyway). :)

Here's what the back yard looks like right now. A couple of the burdock leaves are there to the right. It's a little overwhelming.

• asleep_in_the_garden
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Petrushka,
    ...NOPE!
    Close though! ;)

Edited to say that you snuck in on me while I was composing lol

This post was edited by asleep_in_the_garden on Fri, Jun 20, 14 at 21:36

• plantomaniac08
    9 years ago

I thought I remembered it being one of those Philo hybrids, but I wasn't sure. I'm sorry to hear it hasn't done much. I think they are slow growers to start with. Maybe right now it's just focusing on roots and it'll start growing again once it has developed a good root system. Let me know what happens with it, I'm interested in the little fella.

Wowzers, look at that backyard!

Planto

• petrushka (7b)
    9 years ago

ok, i'm breaking the line ;).
    if it's not xanadu it must be bipinnatifidum! there aren't that many wavy philos after all...

• lauraeli_
    9 years ago

It doesnt look anything like my bipinnatifidum...

This post was edited by Lauraeli on Fri, Jun 20, 14 at 23:16

• petrushka (7b)
    9 years ago

yours is a slightly more mature leaf, younger leaves are less wavy.
    by the way xanadu mature leaves look just like yours, except they are much smaller ;).
    and this is what real mature ph. bipin...leaves look like :))).

• asleep_in_the_garden
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Beth,
    I'll have to find time tomorrow to take a pic of it's latest sad state of condition. My sleep "schedule" is pretty off it's center,..and I have shovelwork in the morning,and little idea how many hours my boss wants/needs me to put in. I'll try to remember!

By the way,thanks for the "wowzers" Hadn't heard that in years! :)

Well Petrushka,..
    yep...it's a bip.
    Good work!
    You've got quite an eye!

Last year I'd noticed the tiniest little side shoot right at the soil line that had a little green point and the start of a root...and guess what? They came away together in one piece! After a few months in a terrarium It has shown quite a bit of progress. Already have two large bips so while it's still a little thing and will fit in a box,I'm sending it to Purp(after all it's on a list of plants she's looking for).
    Love your mature specimen! Ever consider a support for it,like a stake or something? Wait a minute...it's in the ground! ...and you're in 7b...that don't add up! This is in someone else's yard then? Some place a bit to the south perhaps? 7b winters would knock it dead for sure! Color me curious!

Lauraeli,
    You don't think they look a lot alike? The "fingers" on yours are more developed,sure,but I totally see how they are the same critter. The division was so small when first taken that it looked even less like yours,and frankly if I hadn't been responsible for it's propagation personally,I probably wouldn't have even recognized it to be what it is at all. First time I've ever had success at a bip division so small so I'm pretty proud of it. :)

Here's another angle...

This post was edited by asleep_in_the_garden on Sat, Jun 21, 14 at 4:12

• plantomaniac08
    9 years ago

I look forward to your picture (sort of, I'm sorry to hear it's not doing so hot). Haha, your welcome for the "wowzers."

Planto

• asleep_in_the_garden
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Day was called off because of weather.
    Will have a pic shortly so you can see for yourself what an embarrassment it is. lol

If it ever recovers it will be a landmark in my rescue attempts for sure.

Be back soon! :)

• petrushka (7b)
    9 years ago

so, i am wondering - how long will it take for it to produce a couple more leaves? they grow quite fast when it's very warm.
    nope, it's not my plant, it's on vacation in miami,fl ;). they are all over on the sidewalks.
    can't help myself...here's a bunch of 'trees'... just unbelievable...

• asleep_in_the_garden
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Miami! Well that figures! Doesn't surprise me that they'd be all over. Such nice pics too,thanks Petrushka! :)

So Beth Here's what the poor thing looks like as of today(sorry for the blurry pic,but you get the idea I hope)...

• asleep_in_the_garden
    Original Author
    9 years ago

And to think I had it looking like this before...

• plantomaniac08
    9 years ago

Oh no, that does look pretty bad (sorry). Does the base feel solid? What do the roots look like today?

Planto

• asleep_in_the_garden
    Original Author
    9 years ago

No roots that look new and fresh to speak of at all. Not mushy so there's still hope. All I can do is wait for it to do something,so under glass it goes and is forgotten about for a while. Know how they say a watched pot never boils? That's the approach I'm going with. Out of sight,out of mind...til next time I look at it and with any luck will notice improvement.

Patience is what I need now. lol

• petrushka (7b)
    9 years ago

can you put it just barely nestled into NZ long-fiber sphag that they use for orchids? in your closed terrarium? it'll pop aerial roots in no time. epiphytes just love it! they think they are back home in jungle tree muck. i reuse the one from orchids.
    i also use it for air-layering whatever.

This post was edited by petrushka on Sat, Jun 21, 14 at 13:01

• plantomaniac08
    9 years ago

I hope it makes it. :/ I know the feeling about looking at a plant too frequently lol.

Planto

• asleep_in_the_garden
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the warm wishes Beth.
    You're too kind. :)

Yaknow what Petrushka?...
    I'm gonna get some sphagnum moss!

Been putting it off long enough. If I get to work monday,the boss might just need to make a stop at a hardware big box store here in town that might just have some and hopefully I will remember to look for it. Maybe tie a string around my finger or something.

• lauraeli_
    9 years ago

This is what my immature leaves look like. Nothing like yours. Strange

• plantomaniac08
    9 years ago

:)

Planto

• lauraeli_
    9 years ago

Ok here we go :-) This is more like it. This leaf is a small side shoot on a more mature plant recovering from root rot.

There is a lot of variation in the leaves even on a single plant. It seems a lot of things determine leaf size and shape.

What threw me is that your leaf looks to have a completely different texture than mine. But i guess unless I can reach through the computer screen and touch it, I cant know for sure!

• asleep_in_the_garden
    Original Author
    9 years ago

They feel the same.

You'll just have to trust me. ;)