Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
purpleinopp

Angel wing Begonia?

Another gift today. Seems like a cane, but the leaves are ruffled. Angel wing? Salmonish red flowers on the mama plant, she showed me.

{{gwi:90970}}

{{gwi:90971}}

{{gwi:90972}}

{{gwi:90973}}

{{gwi:90974}}

Won't help with ID, but it was like an archaeological dig removing all of the old soil from this plant. As I got to the center, it changed color & texture. Interesting.

{{gwi:90975}}

Comments (11)

• flowerpottipper
    11 years ago

I love this one, sorry I can't help with ID, just too many for me to remember. Angel wing begonias have become one of my favorites lately. My friend gave me cuttings off of her huge angel wing begonia (the leaves are 6 plus inches long) and it's growing fast. I also have two smaller ones, one is called 'Miss Mummy' which has pink spots, and I love it. I think it's weird that all the stores by me (big box and nurseries) don't sell hardly any angel-wing begonias, and the ones that do are just very tiny cuttings.

Anyways, your plant is very nice, I'm jealous!! And sometimes going through old soil is interesting, you never know what your gonna find LOL.

-FPT

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks! My neighbor has lived in her house for about 60 years, and says she's had these plants as long as she can remember. All but 2 plants were pot-less so I think she just wanted the pots for other plants. Hope I can get these looking better, all were leaning totally to 1 side, most in really dense sandy peat. I think they'll really take off with new soil, more light & turning so they stay even.

You're right about Begonias (besides wax) being rare. I would have much more experience with them if I had found more to buy in the past! I don't think it's necessary to know exactly what Begonia one has for it to do well, but it's fun.

If you'd care to put a pic of either or both of your Begonias, I'd love to see them! Thanks for the input.

• teengardener1888
    11 years ago

Hey purpleinopp,

We have met before right in other chats?well anyway that is a angelwing begonia

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

Purple, Pic 5...beautiful.

If you want a positive ID, try the Begonia Forum. There's a couple people who can ID 99%.

They helped me ID a few of my 'gonias, and advised care.

Of what little I know about Begonias, yours are definately healthy and very nice-looking.

There's so many spotted varities it's hard to tell which one you have.
    By chance, do the white spots stick out a little? In other words, if you rub a leaf, do you feel bumps/texture? Toni

Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, Toni. Each post is all the same individual plant, or at least until I broke them up. I kept stopping to take pics so I could know what I did later and to show as much of each one as possible.

I don't really need their names, I'll never remember. Just wanting to classify by type.

Ok, went to go macro-check those spots. Interesting observation. Yes, I can feel them. There's a little thing, almost like a hair sticking out from most of them.

• flowerpottipper
    11 years ago

Here are my angelwing begonias:

Miss Mummy-

{{gwi:90976}}

{{gwi:90977}}

My smaller angel wing-

{{gwi:90978}}

My bigger angel wing begonia from cuttings-

{{gwi:90979}}

It's new leaves growing in-

{{gwi:90980}}

And here's the difference in their leaves sizes-

{{gwi:90981}}

{{gwi:90982}}

And I looked at the spots to see if they had any hairs, and Miss Mummy does have those, but not the other two...so weird...I also have two begonia rexs, but those are a pain to take care of...but I think they're pretty too..but I just love the way the angel wing types grow.

I've seen the wax begonias every where too, but I beleive those are grown more for the flowers. But I prefer to have begonias for their foliage, flowers are just a bonus.

Your so lucky to get them for free...I got my big leaf begonia cuttings from a neighbor who is also into houseplants as much as I am, and the mother plant is very huge and beautiful. My cutings where ALOT bigger til someone (my wonderful kids most likely) knocked over the vase of water it was in and they all broke. So I ended up with much smaller cuttings...but I am surprised at how fast it's grown. They seem to be very forgiving plants.

-FPT

Original Author
    11 years ago

Oh TY for sharing the pics. They're all great but Miss M really stands out. Gorgeous! Pretty enough to snatch your wallet out of a front pocket! Looks like some flowers forming on the last one.

I'm developing an affection for the wax ones because they bloom in the windowsill all winter.

• christine1950
    11 years ago

Beautiful begonia's everyone, Thanks for showing

Original Author
    11 years ago

The one was the worst, as far as being floppy and weak, but the improvement has been amazing. Within 48 hours, most of the stems were much more sturdy, and now shows no signs of having been through a weak, floppy time. This plant also withstood TS Debbie's 50 mph gusts, no problem.

{{gwi:90983}}

Original Author
    8 years ago

Hi Deena Marie! It sounds like you might have intended to attach a pic? If so, it didn't make it. Either way, love the story of your pass-along plant. Sounds great!