Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
ZZ Plant is not upright

Posted by bedelia 6 Rochester NY (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 17, 14 at 16:16

I've had this plant for 3-4 yrs now, and it seems to being doing OK. I bought it thinking it would grow straight up, thus taking less rom. As you can see, mine flops out for lack of a better word. It's in a plastic pot that is placed inside the clay pot.

It's in a corner which gets southern light which is mostly blocked by the front porch. Would moving it to a sunnier location help? Should I tie it to stakes to make it upright?

Or is there another solution, or is something wrong with it?

Thanks for any advice.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ZZ Plant is not upright

Mine does that too, but more so. You're right - it's due to low light.
ZZs don't seem to like a lot of direct sun, but an East facing window would probably make any new canes it puts out grow more upright.
I doubt that any of the current canes will ever change how they sit, but it would probably be alright to stake them up, if it really bothers you.

I personally like the arching look that ZZs grown in low light develop. I think it's sort of relaxing.

o
RE: ZZ Plant is not upright

• Posted by bedelia 6 Rochester NY (My Page) on
    Fri, Jun 20, 14 at 10:06

Thanks for your advice. I'll try moving it into more light and see if it makes a difference.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here