Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
bleached out sanseveria

Posted by country_in_the_city 9/15 CA (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 26, 11 at 16:27

Hi, I have 3 short sanseveria in a pot. I accidentally left it outside one day and two of them bleached out. If I cut all the leaves off at the ground, will it grow back out?
thanks!
country

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: bleached out sanseveria

Country, your Sans should continue growing.
I don't know what you mean, 'cutting leaves off the ground.'
Sans are slow-growers, so be patient. :)

Sans do okay outdoors in super shade. Even shady areas can bleach leaves...never place a plant outdoors in full-sun..Cactus even burn. Toni

o

Country,

The leaves that you cut off will not regrow into their original shape. (They will not grow back into a pointy tip.) New leaves SHOULD grow eventually, but, like Toni said, may take some time.

Nancy

o

Hi Country,

No sorry, but Nancy's right in saying the leaves will not grow back once they've been cut. The plant will have to produce new growth which yes, can take a long time.

o

Still curious what, 'off the ground,' means. :) Toni

o

I got the impression that Country want to know that if he/she cuts the sunburned leaves all the way back (to the soil level) will the plant continue to grow. It is understood that the those cut leaves are goners.

Answer is: Yes, the plant will continue to grow; new leaves will emerge from the crown, as usual.

o

thanks, Rhizo!
Toni, it's not 'off the ground", but rather "off AT the ground". That just means level with the dirt.

o

Rhizo, thanks.

Country, I see. BTW, is there any new growth yet? Sans are slow growers, so it might be too soon. Toni

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here