Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Aglaia odorata 'Chinese Perfume Plant'

Posted by krikit Z7 TN (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 13, 11 at 16:36

Is anyone here familiar with this plant? I found it on the Logee's website and it is called an "easy grower". I need something for my living room and would like something with some height, but it has to be easy to grow. I have a nice large window with a northeast exposure. Everything I've read about this plant says it's a slow grower and I'm fine with that, just don't want something that will struggle with the low humidity indoors and need a lot of extra care.

Thanks for any info,
Frances

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Aglaia odorata 'Chinese Perfume Plant'

Frances, (Easy Grower!) don't believe everything you read..lol..
I too thought about buying an Aglaia..I found one at Gardinos Nursery, in a 6" pot for 15.00.
Logees wants 14.95 for a 2.5". If I decide to buy one it'll come from Gardinos. They have terrific plants.

How 'easy' a plant are you looking for? Do you have other plants? If so, what type?
There's numerous plants that are easy to care for. Dracaenas for one.
I imagine Aglaia care is similar to Citrus or Murraya.' If you can keep either you should be able to grow Aglaia. Of course, this is only my opinion, and what I read during a Google search. Hopefully others will chime in..Toni

o

I love aglaia! The fragrance was very nice. But I did I lose it twice underwatering so don't let it dried out too much..

How much sun does your window get? It's an easy plant and slow growing. The fragrance is nicer than murraya imo and definitely worth growing :).

o

Thanks Kemistry - I would say this window gets about 3 hours of direct sunlight in the morning and then a couple of hours of indirect evening sun from an adjacent window about 4' away - do you think that would be enough?

Thanks,
Frances

o

Yup that will work. A note about aglaia is, if you sniff the flowers you won't detect any scent, but you'll smell the nice fragrance standing near it, or being in the same room.

Take pictures when yours get home! : )

o

I can't seem to find one locally - so guess I'll have to wait for cooler weather this fall and order one. Will definitely post a pic then!

Thanks for all the info,
Frances

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here