Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Please help! Problems with Hoya, Bird's nest and Ivy plants

Posted by steviewonderr none (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 1, 14 at 16:39

Hello,

I have recently started getting into botany and have gotten a few house plants. I have been having problems with three of them; my Hoya, Bird's Nest and Ivy plants as the title says. It almost looks like something has been eating my Hoya and Bird's Nest plants. Although I have checked very carefully and can not see anything on them. There are pieces missing from a few of the leaves of my Bird's Nest and same with my Hoya. Also some of my Hoya's leaves are turning brown. Could this be from overwatering? I believe for a while I was overwatering them. Then there is the Ivy, which has small brown holes in some of the leaves.

Also is it natural for Hoya's to develop small grey spots on them? At first I thought this was from overwatering so I rubbed some vinegar on the leaves, which did nothing. Then I saw some pics of healthy flowering Hoya's online with the same type of spots on them. Thanks for any input, I'm a little worried and am especially attached to my Hoya. Also I'm not sure why I can't actually post my pics in this thread so here's a link. Thanks.

http://postimg.org/gallery/2jysnyv6/9cfc9697/

...First three are the Ivy, next three the Hoya, last two Bird's Nest

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Please help! Problems with Hoya, Bird's nest and Ivy plants

the hoya is naturally speckled. got a cat?

o

Your plants all look healthy. That damage is just cosmetic. If you didnt damage them, then I vote cat. The missing pieces are too big to be bug damage.

o

Glad to hear the Hoya is naturally speckled and that my plants look healthy, but actually I don't have any pets. Thanks for the input.

o

No cat? I vote....um...

garden gnome?

If you could get a more focused image, it might help :-) the pictures are a bit fuzzy.

o

Yeah sorry, not sure why I couldn't seem to get any nice pics today. I'll try again later.

o

I've posted your images below, but they're still a bit too unclear to give a proper opinion.

IMG 3891

IMG 3892

IMG 3893

IMG 3901

IMG 3903

IMG 3907

IMG 3911

IMG 3916

click image upload

o

I have to say, your plants really do look fine. The brown on the hoya leaves is natural. That is just what happens when a leaf gets damaged. All of the damage here appears to be from leaves being bent/broken. Bumping into it, dropping it, dropping something on it. It is not from improper care, it is not contagious, it is not going to spread to other leaves. If it worries you, remove the damaged leaves, and if, by chance, the damage reoccurs, repost with clearer images. But from what I can see, your plants check out fine.

o

Thanks guys!

o

The last plant looks like a Sansevieria not a Birds Nest. Though the pic is fuzzy...

o

Some sansevieria are referred to as a "birds nest plant".

o

Never heard about that, but quite misleading especially for inexperienced people (like me)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here