Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Spath seedling

Posted by aseedisapromise z4.5 SD (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 17, 12 at 16:51

I had a weird thing happen. I noticed in a pot of dying-back-for-the-summer oxalis a very green thing growing, some sort of weed, I thought. I gently pulled it out and on looking at it decided it must be a spath seedling. The oxalis is right next to the spath, which had a lot of bloom not too long ago. I put it into an empty jiffy, and we'll see if my pulling it killed it. Here's a photo:

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Spath seedling

That's really cool! :) It's very cute. I'd love to see more pics as it grows. What's the other little plant, do you know?

o

Other is a start of a columbine for outside. =)

o

spath as in peace lily

o

If it really is a Spathiphyllum seedling then that is quite something. It's hard to find info on the Seeds but some sources maintain they are sterile and others that they need a pollinator. I'm a bit dubious myself about the id. The stem just doesn't look right to me. It looks as if it it could be some sort of tuberous or bulbous plant which got into the potting mix such as an Arum or Allium. When you pulled it up did it just have roots or some sort of tuber/bulb? If you rub it does it smell of onion? Is the leaf soft textured or leathery like a spathiphyllum?

o

It is not a allium, they have very thin narrow headline leaves

o

Teengardener1888 - not all Alliums have thin leaves. Check out A ursinum, A tricoccum, A moly, A karataviense and many others. The picture has a white stem which looks very Allium like rather than Spath. I'm not saying it IS an Allium, only that it is a possibility.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here