Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
msgreenfinger

Salvaged plants - need advice!

MsGreenFinger GW
9 years ago

I just cant resist bringing them home, I always feel sorry for the poor things :( And they are for half price or less :)

This first one is an aloe that (I guess) got sunburnt. The leaves are discoloured and limp. How can I fix this?

This Dieffenbachia had some yellow wilted leaves I cut off. No wonder because the soil was very dry. I gave him a shower and I hope the best.

There was nothing wrong with this easter cactus only it is not blooming. Why throw them away? Good for me, a nice plant for half price in a nice pot! Can't wait to seet the colour of its flowers:)

Any input about how to save/look after them are appreciated! Thanks

Comments (17)

• pirate_girl
    9 years ago

Did you check VERY closely for bugs? Sometimes there's really a reason folks throw stuff out.

If that Aloe leaf is as soft as it looks, I suspect it's rotting from down below. I'd unpot it to check the condition of the roots, if so, it's likely too far gone.

Can't speak to the other items since you didn't provide pix.

• MsGreenFinger GW
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Dieffenbachia.. looks ok to me.

• MsGreenFinger GW
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Easter cactus. A little limp since it was stuffed under a shelf for a while, but looks healthy and has new leaves. The plant is wet because I showered them.

The aloe is in the worst shape, but not rotten. The leaves have this washed out colour, maybe just sunburn (?)

I'm gonna repot them at the weekend or next week. I checked for bugs of course.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    9 years ago

I agree! The Dief and EC look great. The Dief doesn't really need or want any direct sun.

I'm not sure the Aloe is going to make it as-is. You may want to consider propagating the leaves that are still firm. Aloe can grow outside in full sun, but this plant would probably need to be acclimated to that after being inside. The cacti/succulent forum has more action for discussing Aloe.

The EC can handle a bit, fairly early in the morning or late afternoon, no harsh mid-day rays. It's a rainforest jungle epiphyte, not from dry desert climate like Aloe.

• plantomaniac08
    9 years ago

Tiff,
    I know you can propagate succulents from leaf cuttings, but I don't believe Aloe is one of them (it's one of those oddballs).

Planto

• MsGreenFinger GW
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I put the aloe in my kitchen window (no direct sun at all) where my other aloe lives happily. Unfortunately I have no garden or balcony :(

The only thing I know about easter cacti is that I managed to overwater and kill one about 15 years ago and never owned one since then. So it's time to try again!

I remember reading a post here about limp aloe leaves a couple of weeks ago. Just can't recall the answers...

9 years ago

Oh, Planto, you may be right. I'm not that into Aloes though I do have a few, no propagation experiment urges yet, so never investigated that. Thanks for the help!

• Ninkasi
    9 years ago

Aloes can come back from pretty bad conditions. Yours looks entirely too wet. I would take it out of the soil it is in, take all of the soil of the plant and replant it in a gritty mix. It needs to dry out.

• plantomaniac08
    9 years ago

Tiff,
    Of course. I've never tried propagating one either, but I think i remember PG mentioning that on a post on the C&S forum.

Planto

• pirate_girl
    9 years ago

Planto's recollection sounds right. Sorry, Aloes CAN NOT be propagated from leaf portions. One needs a whole division (like a crown if one thinks of African Violets). Wish they could but they can't.

If that Aloe isn't rotting (after unpotting to check the roots) I'd suggest you sprinkle the bottom of it w/ regular cinnamon (like one bakes with), shake the excess off & then repot.

I'd also suggest you get perlite & add 1/3 to 1/2 as much perlite as you have mix, as that mix is far too water retentive (& likely rich in organics) for Aloes (it tends to make them rot). The cinnamon is a natural anti-fungal, so I suggest all applying that to stave off rot 'til the plant has a chance to re-root (if needed).

I am sure of their propagation (Aloes). I grow some Aloes myself & also have dated a man who was an Aloe freak, collected some real beauties & I know this to be fact (sorry).

9 years ago

For those who use FB, I found an anecdote with pics today of an Aloe propagated from a partial leaf, in the house plant group there. I've never tried to link a FB discussion somewhere else before, hope it works.

How are things going with the salvage plants, MsGreen?
    -Tiffany

• MsGreenFinger GW
    Original Author
    9 years ago

They are doing fine. The Dieffenbachia is pushing out new leaves. Nothing changed in the state of the Aloe, I think that's a good sign.
    The Easter cactus I put in a South window, now that the Irish summer ended after 3 weeks bright sunshine it's possibly gonna rain in the next couple weeks - no chance of sunburn. I still have to find out how to care for her when she goes dormant and how to make her flower again.

P.S. The link didn't work, it says the post was removed.

MsGreen

• pirate_girl
    9 years ago

Ms. Green

Easter Cactus doesn't go dormant, the growth just slows a bit so one waters a bit less.

• susancarol
    9 years ago

I bet you can save that aloe. The other (2) plants look good and just need some TLC.

Susan in Virginia

• MsGreenFinger GW
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Pirate girl :)

9 years ago

Sorry about the link not working (and delayed reply, been on vacay.) One might need to be in the group in which it was posted on FB, IDK. Always a chance on FB the person has the name of their plant wrong, but I'm still able to see the pic, so downloaded it and uploading so it will show up here.

Looking at the soil makes me cringe, but like most people, he probably took the pic right after watering.

• MsGreenFinger GW
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Probably it's possible to root a leaf but definitely not the easiest way.. I won't forget this and one day even try it!