Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mo2tx

How to plant and take care of Rubber Plants

mo2tx
14 years ago

I have 3 limbs that were given to me. I want to learn about them and start these off right. I have pics of them and they have like 8-10 leaves on each limb.

Do I have to plant them in a pot first or straight into the ground as I want them to be outside if appropriate for my zone 9 between Houston, TX and Galveston Island? I want them to be brushy or what is best because of our high humidity and salt air. I am kinda dumb when it comes to garden talk so need help like step by step as we grow. I have always wanted on of these tress/plants and now is my one big chance. I do have a green thumb.

Comments (3)

• birdsnblooms
    14 years ago

Mo, I'm not seeing pictures.
    When I hear the term, limb, I think of tree branches. Were you given Ficus/Rubber Tree, branches, (leaves only) or does it contain a rootable stem?

Are you sure Ficus is hardy to your zone? Did you check?
    As for rooting, perhaps starting in a pot would be best. Or since you have 3, try one in the ground and two in pots.
    Use an appropriate size with well-draining but fertilize soil. Or a seedling soil. Give a hearty drink. Place in medium light, no full sun spot. Add 1/2 strenght fertilizer. Keep soil moist but not muddy. Let soil dry a bit before adding more water.
    Don't use too large pot. Don't pot by cutting size. Too much soil and you might overwater.
    A shady spot outside might speed up roots. Toni

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    14 years ago

There is no difference between stem tissue and branch tissue. They are the same & equally likely (or unlikely) to root. I also think trying them directly in the ground where you live will be very unlikely to yield results. Besides, the plant will prefer full sun and you'll not likely be able to root them in full sun, so you'd need to shade them or move them if the did happen to take. You should use a very coarse and sterile mix for rooting. Perlite, Turface, a combination of perlite and Turface, or any combination of chopped sphagnum moss
    {{gwi:10366}}
    (not peat moss - chop it in a blender or food processor) and either/both of the other two ingredients is particularly effective.

If you use the coarse ingredients, soil volume is of no concern and a greater volume is easier to keep damp (but not wet). A spot with open shade is best (in shade but on the north side of a building or fence with open sky above). DO NOT fertilize cuttings until well after they've struck. Fertilizer inhibits water uptake (which is critically important to cuttings) and slows root initiation.

Al

• mo2tx
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I have the branches with about 8-10 leaves on each. They are hearty here as it is sub tropical here. I can't get any pics to show up and don't know how so if ya tell me how I can do it. I have them in water right now by a window that gets the afternoon sun full blast. I can plant them in full sun as I only have some fruit trees in my backyard and the morning to afternoon sun is always there. I even get the evening sun in places in my yard. I really don't want to have them as inside plants as hard to keep the lil one outta them while they root cause the fullest best sun is right in his play room. Our winters consist of upper 30's to 40's at night. My main concern would be the wind so I will have to tie them to a stake since it loves to blow right off the gulf coast. The person who gave them to me has them planted in her flower bed here in our Sub. Tropicals seem to love being outside with the sea air.

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio