Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
lipstick plant help

Posted by alavoneluvhoya none (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 2, 12 at 18:07

First of all I am a plant junkie. I cant kill a thing except for lipstick plants. I am on my 4th one all different kinds hoping I will find one that likes me. What happends is the tips of the stems start to turn brown and crispy and then its down hill from there. I know they like humidity....here is what I am doing for care: West window about 3 feet away from actual window watering once a week to maintain medium moisture but not soggy and misting every other day around the plant not directly on the plant..... any one has good luck with these plants?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: lipstick plant help

Hi, Hoya Luver:

Lipstick plants are Gesneriads so if you post this on that forum you might get more help.

I'll see you there...I hope. :-)

Linda

o

I grow 5 different varieties and haven't had a fatality. Can you tell us about the potting mix? I use a generic african violet/gesneriad mix consisting of a 1:1:1 ratio of peat moss, perlite, and vermiculite. When tips die off like that it's a water issue. You might not be keeping the mix moist enough as they like it damp all the time, or you might be over watering a bit, plants get root rot, and then can no longer take up sufficient water. They like a very light mix for good aeration around the roots.

Mark

o

I wick water mine which keeps them evenly moist but not wet; flushing them every six weeks or so. Grow in coarse perlite and Metro Mix 366 2:1. Basically same as Mark's with a little more perlite.

Linda

PS: Mark, would you email me privately? Thanks.

o

I grow them in 1/3 potting soil 3 month feed, 1/3 vermicuilite, and the rest perlite. I was thinking the soil would keep it moist enough to balance the perlite and vermiculite. I was thinking i did have a water issue but the medium is moist to the touch and I give a good soaking once a month I would say. should I re pot with less soil and increase perlite?

o

The once a month soaking probably isn't necessary, but it probably isn't doing any harm. They do like to be root bound, like many other gesneriads. The extra potting mix keeps too much water around the roots. I occasionally allow mine to dry out a bit. If your plant isn't root bound put it in a smaller pot. Inspect the roots first and remove any that show signs of rot. After that allow it to dry out some maybe once every week or two. That's what works for me.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here