Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aspiringgreenery

What are THESE on my indoor plant?

aspiringgreenery
9 years ago

Hello all,

What is this stuff on my indoor plant's leaves? It is on the top and bottom surfaces of the leaves. Also, what is the solution to rid this condition?

Thank you so much!

Comments (19)

• christine1950
    9 years ago

It looks like spider mites to me, I am not sure what you should use, others will give you alot more advice. Check your other plants and isolate this one for now. Christine

• plantomaniac08
    9 years ago

Do the spots move?

I don't believe that's spider mite. Spider mites aren't white. I don't know what "they" are though.

Planto

• aspiringgreenery
    Original Author
    9 years ago

No, the spots don't move. Noy yt, at least. I have had them before on previous plants and overtime... they develop into moving white dots. I just spotted a couple strands of 'silk-like' material between two branches.

• plantomaniac08
    9 years ago

"Silk-like" material? Spider mites do make webbing. I'm sorry, I'm not of much help.

Planto

• patchyjack
    9 years ago

I don't think those are spider mites, but if there's web and they move, then they're probably some other kind of mite.

Have you tried wiping them off with a damp cloth?
    That would help, for starters.

If they come back, you could try spraying them with neem oil solution. Neem seems to deter most pests.

• odyssey3
    9 years ago

Do these spots kind of burst if you pop them? I think you should consider that these are not pests at all, but edema.

• patchyjack
    9 years ago

Edema! That's interesting. I wouldn't have thought of that, but it's possible.
    Sill, doesn't edema usually show up more on the underside of the leaf and cluster around the veins?

• odyssey3
    9 years ago

I only have had edema on pelargonium leaves before and it was on both sides of the leaf. I couldn't discern any pattern or clustering around veins.

• patchyjack
    9 years ago

Well, if that's the case, it's worth checking if the little things pop then!
    ... Or if they wipe off. If they wipe off, it's not edema. If they don't, then it could be.

• odyssey3
    9 years ago

Definitely. Let us know what happens.

• aspiringgreenery
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hello everyone,
    No, the thinga don't burst or pop.
    They started moving around on the tops of leaves.
    Some leaves have browned, dried, and fallen off.
    I have made a spray with soap and sprayed the whole tree. Rubbed it into leaves and it has been ok since... Existing leaves are shiny and green.

Thank you all for your advice.

• buyorsell888
    9 years ago

Probably need to keep doing it. The white spots aren't spider mites but that leaf does look like it has spider mite damage...ficus are one of their favorite foods....

• patchyjack
    9 years ago

Yeah, soap spray is probably the way to go. It sounds like they're mites of some sort.

• aspiringgreenery
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The leaves are clear of white moving mites except leaves are falling off. Or more specifically, branches aee turning dark brown and leaves are falling off. Is this more of a watering problem now? Ive been watering regularly now.. once per 5-6 d..?

• aspiringgreenery
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Another view. This is a kumquat citrus tree. I live in zone 2a so Im thinking I should keep it indoors..

• aspiringgreenery
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Up close view in between branches

• nomen_nudum
    9 years ago

Is your indoor plant a citrus ? Mind the edit as it is a citrus Not really a very good indoor plant Out door enviromental solutions may have been possible but also looks very bug infested to the point of very difficult and time consuming for it to recover.

if the emphisis on feeding a citrus plant inside was the focus feeding had a hand in creating the enviroment for the pest to find a home as well

This post was edited by nomen_nudum on Sun, Jun 22, 14 at 12:23

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    9 years ago

Aspiring, I strongly suggest you take your pictures and concerns to the Citrus Forum, which is full of people who successfully grow citrus in containers.

Be prepared to answer questions about lighting, indoor environment, and (most importantly) your choice of potting medium.

• dezzo77
    9 years ago

I've had the same thing on some of my plants.

I noticed the plants were drying up and looking unhealthy, wilting, etc. Then I noticed very fine little strands of webbing in a few areas, which was only visible from certain angles.

I used a bright LED flashlight (far better than the older types for clarity) and a magnifying glass and started looking very closely, and I discovered very very small insects moving around. I had to sort of look at them for a few seconds to see they were indeed moving. Or I would gently tap the leaf to see if they would move.

It was hard to tell what color they were as they were so small, but they looked like a pale whiteish yellow. Even with a magnifying glass, I couldn't identify any features or shape to them - that's how small they were, like specks of dust - but they were definitely alive.

Now, on another plant on a separate occasion I noticed no webbing, but there were hundreds of little yellow insects all huddled together on the underside of the leaves. These were much larger than the ones I described above, but still very small.

I ended up discarding a few plants and the others I rinsed in the shower, sprayed with insecticidal soap and then examined again for signs of bugs with the LED light and magnifying glass, and they seemed clean.

I kept checking them a few times a week and after a couple of weeks I noticed the bugs were starting to come back, so I repeated the shower/insecticidal soap procedure again.

Eventually the plants recovered and I saw no more of the bugs. From everything I read online, I decided they were spider mites.. but as someone above said, maybe they were some other kind of mites.

When this first started happening, one plant was VERY heavily infested with the larger yellow bugs I mentioned above, but had no webbing at all. These bugs were only on the undersides of the leaves and on the stem and in crevices.

Another plant which had the very small nearly invisible bugs had only a few strands of webbing that was hard to see at first. These little bugs weren't just hiding in crevices and undersides of leaves - they were out in the open sometimes hanging from little strands of webbing.

Yet another was so infested with the nearly invisible bugs that half the plant was cocooned in webbing. I discarded that one instantly in a state of horror.