Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help...brown spots with yellow halo on my dracaena

Posted by gboivin none (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 11, 13 at 18:23

Hi everyone,

I have searched all over the Internet to find out what was happening to my dracaena, but I didn't get any answers, so I'm turning to you. (I have more pictures if needed)

I have that really awesome dracaena (i don't know which variety it is) composed of 3 distinct stems. I have noticed the apparition of brown spots on the leaves of one of them, and I really don't know what to do. If affects mostly the younger leaves

At first I thought it was a sunburn, so I moved it a little further away from the window. It didn't help. Then I thought the soil might be too poor in nutrients (it needed to be repotted). So I repotted it with soil coming from a specialized garden center. I removed all the affected leaves, thinking I solved the problem. But the spots came back.

The spots are of 2 types:

- A reddish line starts to appear on the back of the leaf, where the primary vein is. Then the line grows bigger and become brown/black

- A reddish round spot appears somewhere on the front of a leaf, then grows bigger and bigger. Somewhere in that process the leaf is showing signs of yellow discoloration

Also, this morning, I saw a lime green mushroom that had grown in the soil. I was quite disgusted and thought the problem might be more serious than I though...

P-S: I don't think it's a watering problem. I know that on many blogs, when the issue of brown spots is raised, people keep saying its either too much or too little water, but please don't tell me that, I really don't believe it is.

Thank you sooo much!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help...brown spots with yellow halo on my dracaena

Found this...

Here is a link that might be useful: Hope it helps

o

You're right, the image does look very similar. A step in the right direction! Hopefully it's not a fungus infection but just too much chlorine in water. thanks :-))

o

That bright yellow halo says fusarium leaf spot to me. Do a Google on 'fusarium leaf spot dracaena ' to compare.

o

Hum...that looks like it as well...(!)
I think I'll try rest the water for 48 hours before watering, see if it solves the problem. If not, I'll try to call some garden centers to see if they have something to eradicate the fusarium infection.

Keeping my fingers crossed! Thank you :-)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here