Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Houseplant (I think I.D) please (sorry if there is a subforum)

Posted by EmmerEff none (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 12, 14 at 18:43

Hi all - I am sorry of there is a subforum for identifications. I could not see one.

My father has had this houseplant for years. We have no idea what it is and he said it has flowered once.

It rarely grows new leaves and the ones it does have are hardy and brittle at the same time. It is on an east facing window, about a 5 inch across pot and gets watered approx every week or when the soil is dry. Repotted a couple of months ago so is not rootbound at the moment.

I would love for this to get healthy for my Dad.

Many thanks, Emma.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Houseplant (I think I.D) please (sorry if there is a subforum

That looks to me like some kind of bromeliad. Vrieseas can look that way when they're not watered correctly.
If your plant is a bromeliad, then you need to water it in the top, pouring water into the middle of the leaves, for it to look its best.
BUT, if it's not a bromeliad, you could cause it to rot by watering that way.

Can you describe the flower it had?
Some more pictures of the whole plant from a couple of angles (particularly from above) would be helpful too.

This post was edited by PatchyJack on Fri, Jun 13, 14 at 4:56

o

I suppose it could also be a very short dracaena...???

o

It may be a Sansevieria. Agree with the request for another pic please.

o

Sorry, but don't think it's a Sans. (don't think they wrinkle horizontally like that).

Another pic would be great, esp if backed up enough to show the whole plant, full height & pot (so we can better see the growth habit). The lower portion of the plant that I can see looks like some Brom to me too.

Any idea when the mix was changed last? Also if he's ever fertilized it?

o

The leaves looked mechanically bent to me. IDK what it is, just a suggestion, like the others.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here