Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sunburnt f. elastica?

Posted by anne_g z5 (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 26, 10 at 18:55

(I'm hoping this is the right forum for this post.)

So, I think I hurt my ficus elastica, y'all. Once the overnight temps started warming up I moved my houseplants outdoors.

After a week or so, my f. elastica started to develop brown areas on the bulk of it's leaves. This plant resides in my home office during the winter months, and receives indirect light from a south-facing window. I took it from this to direct, full-on sun. Didn't even think about gradual acclimation.

The only upside is, there have been new growth, here and there.

Here's what it looks like:

Sunburnt ficus elastica?

Sunburnt ficus elastica?

Sunburnt ficus elastica?

Sunburnt ficus elastica?

Sunburnt ficus elastica?

Sunburnt ficus elastica?

Sunburnt ficus elastica?

Sunburnt ficus elastica?

Is this plant salvageable? I've had it for several years now. Repotted once. Pruned some-what heavily last year. Not sure where to take it now.

Should I remove the burnt leaves? Are they even burnt, or is this browning another issue?

Thank you,

--Anne

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sunburnt f. elastica?

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a MI (My Page) on
    Sat, Jun 26, 10 at 22:25

If you absolutely can't stand looking at the compromised leaves, you can remove them, but there are two good reasons not to. The first is that if the leaves are not net producers of energy (photosynthate/food - plants make their own food through photosynthesis), ans are instead net USERS of energy, the plant will shed the leaf on its own. Second, if the plant is in the process of shedding the leaves, it will translocate food (stored energy) and nutrients from the damaged leaves to other organs until the leaf is shed.

I would reduce the number of stems to 3 or 5, retaining only the strongest, and prune the growing tips off all the branches to force back-budding. You might want to consider repotting, too - it's the perfect time of year for it.

Al

o

Al,

Thank you so much for your reply.

I think I'll give it a go and follow your suggestions. By cutting down the number of stems, I'm guessing I should also downsize the pot when repotting?

I'm not willing to part with this plant yet!

Thanks again,

Anne

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a MI (My Page) on
    Sun, Jun 27, 10 at 14:51

Yes, it looks like you could step down in pot size. I'm going to suggest you do a complete repot, which includes bare-rooting, root pruning, and a complete change of soil. If you're up for it, I promise your plant will really appreciate it. In fact, I just got rained out, but I repotted several Ficus (bonsai) earlier today. It's the perfect time to be repotting them.

Al

o

Hi Al!,

I think my Ficus might have been sunburt also? Can you please let me know what you think? Also what remedies should I take. Should I completely move it from the window until it heals and then start adapting it to light, or should I leave it and gradually reduce the amount of light I block with the blinds? I don't mind if it looks bad. I want my plant to be healthy. Thanks for your help.
Photobucket
Photobucket

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Thu, Jun 30, 11 at 23:25

I commented in your thread - find reply there.

Al

Here is a link that might be useful: Click me and I'll take you there - no fuss. ;-)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here