Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Window sill strawberries

Posted by amethystkorn USDA 5 (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 7, 13 at 19:20

Ok..so I bought these little plant starter kits from Lowe's to plant with my 7 year old. The herb one was fine but the strawberry one isn't doing so well. I followed the instructions on the package and have no idea what I'm doing. Only one plant has appeared after several weeks. I checked in on them today and i see these skinny, short clear looking worms crawling around in the soil as well as a tiny red spider that popped out after I watered it. I have no idea what I'm doing or what these are. I have no idea about pesticides and am hesitant to use anything like that because I have small children and actually would like to eat these berries if I can. Any suggestions? Can I save this planter or should I give up on them all together?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Window sill strawberries

I would put the plant outside, those tiny spiders you see are red spider mites, Cant help you there

o

More likely a soil mite...or even a real spider. Spider mites are so infinitesimally small that few can easily see them with the naked eye. They don't inhabit the soil.

Are your plants outside? Have you transplanted to little pots, yet?

o

The plants are inside on an east facing window sill. Only one plant ever sprouted and there are little clear worms and white fuzzy stuff on top of the soil. I don't think the little red spider was a spider mite I've checked out pics and it didn't look like any of them. i only saw one. I'm thinking about just scrapping them and taking it as a loss. Thank you for your responses.

o

You could just plant it outside it may come back

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here