Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jennbrenn_gw

Fiddle Leaf Fig left in soaking rain

jennbrenn
10 years ago

I just purchased two Fiddle Leaf Figs to put inside our new home. I did my replanting outside so I wouldn't bring a mess of soil in the house. However, I had to leave the pots outside because we are waiting for a final finish coat on our wood floors. The past few days, we have received a LOT of rain. I am concerned now because I keep reading how I should water them sparingly. Will this cause a problem for my plants? I hope to bring them inside by the end of the week. Thanks for any advice you can provide!!

Comments (10)

• petrushka (7b)
    10 years ago

if it's warm ,water is not a problem. in florida they grow outside and take drenching downpours. but if nights are cool - that's not so good. what are the temps?

• jennbrenn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

We are getting to upper 80s during the day and lows in the low 70s at night. Sounds like that will be ok then!

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    10 years ago

How much potential there is for root issues depends primarily on what you used for soil when you repotted, and by extension how water-retentive that soil is.I regularly leave cacti, succulents, and all my other plants out in extended periods of rain with no concern that the result will be a lengthy period of impaired root function, or worse, root rot.

It's always going to be easier to bring along healthy plant material if you use a soil that relieves you of worry about root health/function if you water copiously, and the potential for being able to coax plants to grow as close as possible to their genetic capacity will also be much greater.

Inserting a wick into the drain holes and tilting the containers will eliminate a good amount of the excess retained water. See A, B, and E

{{gwi:5807}}

I'll leave you a link to a thread that goes into more detail about how to deal with water-retentive soils, but the real focus should be on getting to the point where your soil gives you no cause to be concerned about having to make the extra effort.

Al

Here is a link that might be useful: More here if you click me ....

• asleep_in_the_garden
    10 years ago

Hey Al,

While we have you here,..

Here is a link that might be useful: A question concerning the gritty mix

• cmariehansen
    10 years ago

Dear Al,

I have spent the last hour pouring over your forums about fiddle leaf trees. Thank you so much for all of the information you have put out there!

I received my fiddle leaf about two weeks ago from a large nursery. I have noticed that is has accumulated brown spots all over its leaves. From your many responses, I am guessing that it might be from the salt build up in the soil. But I have also noticed brown spots on the branches. Can you help me with that?

Thanks,
    Christina

• cmariehansen
    10 years ago

Here are a few more pictures - sorry, I can't figure out how to add more pictures to just one listing!

• cmariehansen
    10 years ago

This is the last one, I promise :)

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    10 years ago

Asleep - what's the question? ;-)

It's hard to say exactly what's wrong, Marie. Are the spots something new, or were they already in evidence when you obtained it? Soggy soil is a problem whether it's warm or not, but many of the lesions have more the look of being disease-related than directly related to the saturated soil issue, but that doesn't mean it's not important to give a lot of consideration to good root health by making sure the soil you're using will support good health.

If you brought the plant to me and said "What can we do for it?", I'd check out the roots and repot it into a soil that allows you to water properly, and suggest you treat it several times at appropriate intervals with a systemic fungicide.

Al

• asleep_in_the_garden
    10 years ago

Okay Al...here's the question as posted by Pete...

------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Posted by pkozul (My Page) on Tue, Oct 25, 11 at 18:49
    Hi there,
    I've mixed a big batch of Al's gritty mix (the well-known soil mix from the Container Gardening forum, made up of bark, turface and granite). I recently repotted our house plants into this mix, and have some of this mix left over...

I've been planning on setting up my first terrarium, and was wondering whether the gritty mix would be suitable. Has anyone used this, or a similar medium, in their terrarium?

Thanks,
    Pete
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------

The thread has had four replies already and I thought perchance you might be persuaded to put in your two cents if asked nicely. :)

Was that nicely enough?...sure hope so!! ;)