Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
yasha_gw

What type of plant is this?

yasha
9 years ago

So my mom gave me this plant and I have no idea what it is. Its a taller plant. I asked her about it but she said corn and I know her corn plant was wider and brown trunk not green. So my question is what type of plant is this? is it a type of corn or something different? Also if anyone knows is it OK to have around dogs, cats and birds? If not I can look that part up myself after knowing the type of plant. Thank you :)

Comments (4)

• Joe1980
    9 years ago

It's a very leggy green dracaena. You can cut it back if it's too tall. It appears to be in a bucket.....does it have drain holes?

Joe

• yasha
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for the replay and the answer.

If your right about it being a dracana I'm going to have to make sure the pets don't get around it which I kind of guessed would be the case no matter what it was as so little plants seem to be safe with pets. That's the reason I only have spider plants, and a aloe for burns in the house.

The height is OK in my opinion but that's very good to know. Would it be better to cut it down? If not I just have to find a pole to hold it up as it keeps falling over. :/

It seem the bucket doesn't have holes. I fixed that after finding out. I would like to know how ever is it OK in the bucket or should it be moved to a bigger one for more root space?
    I'm thinking I should at least replant it as its been in the same bucket in the same dirt for a really long time. Its been at least 6 years likely more. I'm thinking at least 8+ but It may have even been as much as 20. As I've always remembered my mom having it and never remember her buying it.
    Do they take OK to being replanted? Should I clean the roots or just pull it out and replace the dirt around it?

I just moved it outside before the picture while I was cleaning the room. Would it be OK outside or better inside? Right now its around a high of 85 or so and a low of 63 Fahrenheit at night here.

Again thank you

• yasha
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I tried to look up green dracaena and I can't seem to see any that is the same as mine all throw they do for sure look like there from the same family. Would you know what type of dracaena it is? Seems corn plants are also part of the dracaena family so my mom wasn't to far off. Also lucky bamboo.

Update: I just fond a few Janet Craig Cane Dracaena and they look to be the closest to the one I have but I'd like someone to tell me if I'm right about that being the type.

Thank you

Thank you to anyone that helps

This post was edited by yasha on Sat, Jun 28, 14 at 0:11

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    9 years ago

Your plant looks like Dracaena fragrans to me. If it has been in very low light, it may not be showing variegation that would manifest in brighter light. It's possible it's not variegated, but I suspect it would show some stripes next to a brighter window (or out in the shade, which is almost always more light in total throughout the day than being inside.)

Yes, Dracaenas do well with repotting. After such an extended period, you'll probably find a 'pancake' of roots at the bottom of the pot. You can chop that off with a shovel, or saw it off. Yes, it would love to be outside, but in the shade. After being inside for so long, any direct sun except the first or last hour of the day would give the leaves a sunburn.

If you are able to give this plant rain or distilled water, the tips shouldn't go brown like that. Dracs are very sensitive to fluoride in tap water, which causes the tips to brown like that. Repotting should also help immensely with that. Tips also go brown (on about any plant) when the roots have pancaked.