Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Plant ID

Posted by papillon1 (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 17, 12 at 19:47

Can anyone tell me what plant this is? It is covered with fine 'hairs' like cobwebs. A friend gave me this cutting but did not know the name of it. I think it will get flowers and it may be pendant.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Plant ID

it is some type of spiderwort (Tradescantia) i think.

o

Well, I looked that up and it does not resemble that at all. Anyone else have any ideas. Can't find anything like it??

o

Interesting plant, never seen it before!

TG, Tradescantia sillamontana is a good guess. The leaves of papi's plant look more rounded to me and more perpendicular to the stem than most of the images that came up on google.

papi, Did your friend say if it makes any flowers?

o

If you look around the internet carefully, you'll see images of Tradescantia sillamontana that look just like yours, papillon, rounded leaves and all.

Good job, teengardener!

o

Tradescantia sillamontana looks likely to me. This is just a cutting so it would be more upright than an older specimen.

o

ok when I added the sillamontana to my search I found photos. I do think this is it..thanks teengardener and all for your replies. It's a cool plant I hope I have luck growing it.

o

Not only is it a good guess, guess it's a good answer. Kudos TG!

o

Well, I'm sure glad someone gave this plant a name because it's the cutest darned thing I've seen in ages!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here