Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tttt_gw

Plant identification (lots of pics)

tttt
12 years ago

I've been acquiring a bunch of new house plants recently, but I don't know what their names are. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Plant #1: This sad fellow only had two leaves when I first got him.

{{gwi:91693}}

Plant #2:

{{gwi:91694}}

Plant #3:

{{gwi:91695}}

Plant #4:

{{gwi:91696}}

Plant #5: My favorite! It has leaves that are green but have a velvety purple fuzz all over them.

{{gwi:91697}}

Plant #6:

{{gwi:91698}}

Comments (12)

• cearbhaill (zone 6b Eastern Kentucky)
    12 years ago

Just some guesses to keep you busy until the experts show up :)

#1 Amaryllis
    #2 a Sansevieria?
    #3 Variegated Dracena sanderiana
    #4 Dracena fragrans
    #5 Purple Passion Vine Gynura sarmentosa
    #6 Hoya

• brodyjames_gw
    12 years ago

I agree with the above and would venture to say that #2 is Sansevieria "Mason's Congo" and a very nice specimen at that! :)

Nancy

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    12 years ago

I agree with the ID's above and wanted to mention that #1 is a bulb. It probably needs a cold dormant period. They grow in the ground here and bloom in April. Where are you?

You may want to put it outside now. If you check out the Amaryllis forum you should find these questions already asked and answered. I'm sure there are many discussions about what northerners do to keep these bulbs going. Also, when it blooms, they can probably help you decide exactly which one you have.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    12 years ago

The Hoya, I believe, is the variety called 'Hindu Rope.'

Josh

• birdsnblooms
    12 years ago

1 looks like Clivia minata. Are leaves held by a bulb?
    2. Aloe, possibly striata
    4. Dracaena Fragrans, 'pineapple.'
    6. Hoya, Hindu Rope

• Moosetrackz
    12 years ago

Purple Passion vine is one of my favorites too. :)

Make sure it gets lots of bright light but protect it from direct sun. Direct sun for long periods will burn it and not enough light will make it lose its awesome purple fuzz.

Best of luck with your new plants!

• mel_10
    12 years ago

I love purple and recently purchased a small Purple Passion vine. I placed mine in an east facing window and it has done very well. It even tried flowering. The flowers are a pretty yellow, a nice contrast to the purple, but they smell horrible. I cut all the buds off a few days ago and noticed more are already forming. Good luck with yours :)

Mel

• pirate_girl
    12 years ago

Hi tttt,

Nice plants, you have an interesting assortment here.

The 1st really needs another pic w/ leaves not in shadow pls. Otherwise, it could be an Amaryllis or Clivia (both were suggested possibilities). It could also be a Sansevieria, especially your mention that it only had 2 leaves to start. I have one that would look just like that when shot in shade or shadow.

The 2nd is also a Sansevieria (Sans for for short, aka Snake Plant). I would disagree w/ Nancy pls. & suggest it's not Mason's Congo (which has more straight up, vertical leaves & no colored leaf edge).

I have something looking like this given to me as Sans. subspicata. Same sideways liek growth, same rust/rose colored edging. Handsome plant.

I believe 3 & 4 are Dracenas as suggested.

I agree that 5 is a Gynura, purple passion plant, the more light it gets the more purple it stays.

I agree that 6 is a Hoya (Rope or Hindu rope), botanical name is Hoya compacta.

A very nice collection to start or otherwise; all look healthy too.

FYI: Tho' many folks regard Sansevierias as low light plants, they're really not, they would benefit from lots of bright, indirect light.

If you choose to put them out, or in direct sun, the exposures need to be done gradually pls. otherwise they may burn.

• paul_
    12 years ago

I agree with the above except that I know the purple one as Gynura aurantiaca

• flora_uk
    12 years ago

I'm pretty sure no 1 is a Hippeastrum aka Amarylis. You can clearly see the top of the bulb. I don't think it's Clivia because the leaves are not evenly distributed either side of the plant, they appear too long and pointed and also Clivia are a rhizomatous perennials, not bulbs.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    12 years ago

Maybe you should put it outside. Can't believe nobody called me out on this yet! I was just looking at the pic again and DUH - tttt obviously lives in an apartment. You can clearly see the ground is WAY down below. All I saw was the plant the first time. Classic case of one-track-mind. Hope I'm not the only one having a good laugh at me. LOL!

tttt, where'd you go?

• birdsnblooms
    12 years ago

Flora, I couldn't tell if the plant in pic 1 was a bulb or cut, brown leaves, which is the reason I asked, tttt.

Purple, I too focused on the plant..it was only after you mentioned tttt living in an appartment I second-glanced pic number 1. lol..