Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kwie2011

Spider plants to share, anyone?

kwie2011
9 years ago

Does anyone have any spider plant pups they'd like to share?

I'd really like a curly-leaf variety like Chlorophytum commosum "bonnie". I've been doing some research, and apparently the amount and type of curl is heavily dependant on growing conditions, which sounds like great fun.

I'd also like any one of the white margined varieties, or any variety with just a narrow white center line.

I don't have much to trade except a very healthy green variety, and some odd little jade cuttings of a variety called tetragona.

Comments (8)

• Photo Synthesis
    9 years ago

I don't have any pups to share at the moment. My spider plant is still fairly small. I got mine as a pup from another plant. Last year, it was planted into a small pot and neglected. Then I properly planted it up into one of my hanging pots, where it sulked for a while. Then, this year, it finally began growing much bigger. Recently, it sent out its first offshoot. Except this little pup appears to be almost completely white, unlike the main plant. I know not to try and remove it, to try and grow an "all-white" spider plant, no matter how cool that would be. I know it almost completely lacks sufficient chlorophyll to properly grow all on its own. I was going to post this on here already, but since you posted this thread, I thought I'd at least share this intriguing pup with you online. :)

• pirate_girl
    9 years ago

Hi Folks,

Pls post this trade info. at the Exchange Page. That's the designated place for such info. & specifically where Members know to go for such info. Thanks.

To participate, it's suggested one take the time to read Special Rules for Exchanges which govern same.

• susancarol
    9 years ago

That's a Hawaiian Spider. It usually grows really fast and puts out lots of babies.

• Photo Synthesis
    9 years ago

Yeah, kwie2011, consider this "strike one." Don't let it happen again, or you will be admonished! LoL, just messing with ya... :P

SusanCarol, my spider plant is called a Hawaiian Spider? Thanks for letting me know. I had seen the mother plant and loved it, and was able to get a pup from it to grow my own. It seemed vigorous with thicker leaves and nice coloring, and of course, lots of pups. My previous spider plant seemed too bland and uninterestingly ordinary.

I first thought that this was just one pup. But I've checked on it since then and noticed that each leaf seems to be a node on the branch, which is continuing to elongate. With as many leaves as it has, I'm guessing it's going to get really long, with a pup at each node.

• kwie2011
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm not so sure it's a Hawaiian because the mother plant is still so light. Hawaiians lose their variegation as they age, it they keep making light pups that also lose theory variegation if they age on the parent plant. It looks like C. commosum vittatum to me, but a very white one. My brother grew some in Phoenix that where very nearly white. I suspect it's because they got so much sun. That is a lovely mother plant AND pup though. I'd leave it on too. It'll be so pretty once there are many little ones like that.
    Terribly sorry for posting in the wrong place.

• pirate_girl
    9 years ago

Not a big deal thanks, but just so you know.

• chazf_123
    9 years ago

Hello ⦠i have a curly spider plant. I can send you some babies if you would like:)

• kwie2011
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ooh! I would love some! Would you like some of my green ones? You can email me directly, too. My email is just my user name @ aol.com.

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?