Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bosewichte

plant lights for dim rooms?

bosewichte
10 years ago

I have long, deep built-in bookshelves on either side of my living room fireplace. It's much too dim, even during the day, for houseplants...but I started wondering if I could outfit the tops of the shelves with some kind of unobtrusive, inexpensive lighting so I could add a few plants. Does anyone have any thoughts on a system light this, or what type of lights I could use?

Comments (5)

• birdsnblooms
    10 years ago

Howdy,

My dh built a shelf and lights (lights, weren't included,) the mid-90's.
    The shelf was 19.99. Plastic.
    In addition he purchased and installed three standard workshop light fixtures.
    I can't recall the exact price, but I believe fixtures were around 9.99 per fixture. So, total price was approximately 50.00 and change. 'tax.'

Here's a picture...sorry not the best image.

{{gwi:91825}}

Hope pic works.

Can you see where fixtures/lights are installed? Wiring is in back.
    I've placed a timer so lights turn off and on as set.

My shelf won't win any awards, but does the job. Bulbs are standard fluorescent...I can't find 4' plant bulbs so have to use standard fluorescent bulbs. True plant fluorescents sold here are 6' long.

How wide are your book shelves? Toni

• bosewichte
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Our bookshelves are each about 6 feet wide and about a foot deep. I will try to find some fluorescent lights to hook up in one spot for a few plants - thanks!

• birdsnblooms
    10 years ago

Bosewichte..Sorry I didn't get back sooner.

6' shelves are perfect. You now need to decide if you want to use gro-lights, standard, and 1 or 2 bulb fixtures

Good luck, Toni

• asleep_in_the_garden
    10 years ago

I have standard fluorescent bulbs of the curly cue type that plug into any normal lamp, They did a better job of keeping the plants healthy that I thought they would, Still usin em too! :)

Hi Toni! :)

• birdsnblooms
    10 years ago

Hey Asleep...Curly cue, lol, bulbs last a lot longer, but I discovered standard light bulbs work, too.
    During winter months, when there's no room for one sheet of paper, :), I set a few plants on an end table w/lamp. A standard light bulb, 100 watts keeps plants going.

Bose has 6' wide shelves..
    6' fluorescent bulb works and economical. Know what I mean?

BTW, I too use curly cues.