Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
plant lights for dim rooms?

Posted by bosewichte 7a/8b (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 20, 13 at 20:21

I have long, deep built-in bookshelves on either side of my living room fireplace. It's much too dim, even during the day, for houseplants...but I started wondering if I could outfit the tops of the shelves with some kind of unobtrusive, inexpensive lighting so I could add a few plants. Does anyone have any thoughts on a system light this, or what type of lights I could use?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: plant lights for dim rooms?

Howdy,

My dh built a shelf and lights (lights, weren't included,) the mid-90's.
The shelf was 19.99. Plastic.
In addition he purchased and installed three standard workshop light fixtures.
I can't recall the exact price, but I believe fixtures were around 9.99 per fixture. So, total price was approximately 50.00 and change. 'tax.'

Here's a picture...sorry not the best image.

Plant Room

Hope pic works.

Can you see where fixtures/lights are installed? Wiring is in back.
I've placed a timer so lights turn off and on as set.

My shelf won't win any awards, but does the job. Bulbs are standard fluorescent...I can't find 4' plant bulbs so have to use standard fluorescent bulbs. True plant fluorescents sold here are 6' long.

How wide are your book shelves? Toni

o

Our bookshelves are each about 6 feet wide and about a foot deep. I will try to find some fluorescent lights to hook up in one spot for a few plants - thanks!

o

Bosewichte..Sorry I didn't get back sooner.

6' shelves are perfect. You now need to decide if you want to use gro-lights, standard, and 1 or 2 bulb fixtures

Good luck, Toni

o

I have standard fluorescent bulbs of the curly cue type that plug into any normal lamp, They did a better job of keeping the plants healthy that I thought they would, Still usin em too! :)

Hi Toni! :)

o

Hey Asleep...Curly cue, lol, bulbs last a lot longer, but I discovered standard light bulbs work, too.
During winter months, when there's no room for one sheet of paper, :), I set a few plants on an end table w/lamp. A standard light bulb, 100 watts keeps plants going.

Bose has 6' wide shelves..
6' fluorescent bulb works and economical. Know what I mean?

BTW, I too use curly cues.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here