Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What tree is this?

Posted by Zachary2000 Colorado (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 23, 12 at 20:36

I have just moved in to a new place and the new place comes with a tree. The tree is lovely, but it seems to be suffering a bit. I'd like to figure out what kind of tree it is and learn how to take care of it. Please see the photo of the leaves.

The tree is in a large pot in a southeast facing window. It is about five or six feet tall and with weeping (drooping?) branches. There are little green fruits near the leaves.

Some of the leaves are curled up in a way that makes me think that the tree needs water. However, I'm wary of overwatering, so I just want to make sure of the best course of care.

Thank you for any help in identifying this guy!

Zac

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What tree is this?

It would be nice if we could see the whole tree and maybe ONE whole leaf so that we could better judge the size and shape. I'm guessing that this could be a mistletoe fig, but that would really be a a wild guess from that photograph.

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Sun, Jun 24, 12 at 4:16

That's what it is. When I first saw the pic, I thought of F. deltoidia right away, but rejected the idea because I thought one of the defining characteristics of the leaf was that the main vein always bifurcated (divided in two) somewhere around a third of the way into the main body of the leaf. After looking at a bunch of pictures though, it looks like that feature isn't necessarily prevalent, so mistletoe fig gets my vote, too.

Al

o

Thanks for the responses. I did a google search for Mistletoe Fig and that's definitely it.

After looking at photos of other Mistletoes, it seems that mine is too dry. I have the impulse to give it lots of water, but I'm wary of overwatering. Any tips on how much water these guys like?

Thanks!

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Tue, Jun 26, 12 at 20:54

Like almost all plants grown in containers, other than cacti, they like a soil that is damp - never wet or soggy. For that reason, soils that drain well and hold minimal amounts of or no perched water are best (for the plant).

If you feel your soil holds too much water, you'll find some tips on Dealing with water retentive soils if you follow the embedded link.

You'll also find a lot of information on the cultural conditions Ficus prefers at the link below.

Al

Here is a link that might be useful: Click me for more about Ficus in containers

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here