Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can someone Identify this plant?

Posted by absolut3 none (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 14, 11 at 20:43

Can someone tell me the name of this plant?

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can someone Identify this plant?

Hi,
sorry I can't ID this plant, I think it is in the bromeliad family, but it sure is beautiful....
thanks for posting the great picture....linda

o

Definitely Bromeliad, very handsome. Maybe Aechmea.

If it were me, I'd so an Image search for Bromeliads & then try to match up the plant to the pix.

o

It's Bromiliad Aechemea. The variegation on yours is most striking. Look for tiny, purple/pink flowers on either side of the red/orange. Toni

o

Had no idea, so was waiting to say, "How pretty!"

Is the curl of the leaf normal, Toni, anyone?

o

Yes the curl is completely normal. Am guessing you'll see it in an Image search.

I don't think that's variegation Toni, just the leaf's pattern.

o

Purple, there's so many different species and hybrids it's hard to tell. Some Bromeliad leaves curl, others grow straight. The color on Absolu's plant is striking.

Karen, you're right..it is the leaf pattern, but I call it variegation because of the color texture.
On the other hand, there's an all green B. aechmea. Would you consider Absolu's Brom variegaeted or not? Toni

o

Hi all!

I think what you have is definitely a bromeliad. I believe it's actually Vriesea slendens or known as the flaming sword. Enjoy your wonderful plants. The curl is normal and it is just pattern. BEAUTIFUL! I love the group planting. The red spike should last a good oooooo two months or more. I used to have one myself but lost it and never did see the actual flowers which I believe are yellow. They should appear all the way up the spike......not at once though I believe. Do you know about the life cycle of bromeliads at all? This genus was one that I was obsessed with early on in my plant collecting. I don't have any at the moment. I should change that lol. Kyle

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here