Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rotating house plants

Posted by CJ-Speciosa 7a (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 10, 14 at 20:50

So what's the consensus on moving plants to face the light? For example, when a plant is facing the window and all of the leaves and growth are facing towards the light, leaving the side away from the window bare and open, is it okay to rotate the bare side towards the window? Should I just leave it as is?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rotating house plants

Rotating is what you're supposed to be doing, only often enough that the plant doesn't lean drastically. A quarter turn once a week or so.

Do all plants on the same day and turn them all in the same direction so you don't forget.

o

I rotate some of my plants and not others.
The plants don't seem to care either way, so it's purely a cosmetic issue.
I have some plants which I allow to grow into a lopsided shape (to fit the space better) and others that I turn regularly to keep them bushy on all sides.
It's completely up to personal taste.

o

Well this is good to know. I had a thought that it wasn't healthy for the plant because if they would have germinated and grown in a single spot out in nature, they would have not had the ability to turn and get light from all directions.

I have a huge peace lily that I've allowed to get badly lopsided. I'm going to start working on it so that it is even all the way around again.

o

No problem!
Good luck with your peace lily!

LOL In nature, plants usually have light all around them anyway. There aren't too many natural settings where the light only comes from one direction.

o

In nature, most plants don't have to lean towards the light. Because of the rotation of the Earth, the Sun moves thru the sky, bathing most plants from sunrise to sunset. Sure, some plants will move their leaves to follow the light throughout the day. But when we keep plants indoors, this process gets exaggerated. Because the windows in our homes are fixed, providing our plants light from only one direction. So rotating them minimizes this and provides your entire plant(s) with access to light, rather than only one side more so than the other. To keep it simple, I just rotate mine whenever I water them.

o

Agree with the comments here already. I think generally if the plant is slow growing its easy to never rotate them but plants which are fast growing or have a dainty appearance they need to be turned to maintain their "balance".

o

Some plants can bend in an direction if not turnt. With others foliage can vary in matching shape some could be wider while others on a different side are more narrow and shorter Balanced plants with uniformed foilage is easy to mange by use of lighting that is porpotianal to watering as well as air flow.

o

I turn plants constantly, especially in deep Winter when they really lean. It makes for fuller and sturdier growth, I find.

Josh

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here