Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cj_speciosa

Rotating house plants

cj_speciosa
9 years ago

So what's the consensus on moving plants to face the light? For example, when a plant is facing the window and all of the leaves and growth are facing towards the light, leaving the side away from the window bare and open, is it okay to rotate the bare side towards the window? Should I just leave it as is?

Comments (8)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    9 years ago

Rotating is what you're supposed to be doing, only often enough that the plant doesn't lean drastically. A quarter turn once a week or so.

Do all plants on the same day and turn them all in the same direction so you don't forget.

• patchyjack
    9 years ago

I rotate some of my plants and not others.
    The plants don't seem to care either way, so it's purely a cosmetic issue.
    I have some plants which I allow to grow into a lopsided shape (to fit the space better) and others that I turn regularly to keep them bushy on all sides.
    It's completely up to personal taste.

• cj_speciosa
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well this is good to know. I had a thought that it wasn't healthy for the plant because if they would have germinated and grown in a single spot out in nature, they would have not had the ability to turn and get light from all directions.

I have a huge peace lily that I've allowed to get badly lopsided. I'm going to start working on it so that it is even all the way around again.

• Photo Synthesis
    9 years ago

In nature, most plants don't have to lean towards the light. Because of the rotation of the Earth, the Sun moves thru the sky, bathing most plants from sunrise to sunset. Sure, some plants will move their leaves to follow the light throughout the day. But when we keep plants indoors, this process gets exaggerated. Because the windows in our homes are fixed, providing our plants light from only one direction. So rotating them minimizes this and provides your entire plant(s) with access to light, rather than only one side more so than the other. To keep it simple, I just rotate mine whenever I water them.

• feathered_horse
    9 years ago

Agree with the comments here already. I think generally if the plant is slow growing its easy to never rotate them but plants which are fast growing or have a dainty appearance they need to be turned to maintain their "balance".

• nomen_nudum
    9 years ago

Some plants can bend in an direction if not turnt. With others foliage can vary in matching shape some could be wider while others on a different side are more narrow and shorter Balanced plants with uniformed foilage is easy to mange by use of lighting that is porpotianal to watering as well as air flow.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    9 years ago

I turn plants constantly, especially in deep Winter when they really lean. It makes for fuller and sturdier growth, I find.

Josh

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting