Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
markparsons435

Help with a couple please (several photos)

markparsons435
10 years ago

I went to visit my father today and while I was there, my Aunt gave me a few plants.

This first one was hanging in a bucket off the porch. She had no idea what it was and didn't remember what the bloom was like. She said when it got long, she lopped it off and put them back in the pot. She cut off these two pieces.

{{gwi:92077}}

In the front bed she has a lot of hostas and ferns. This other plant was growing from underneath the hostas. She said it was a geranium but didn't know much else other than it spreads and blooms later in the year.

{{gwi:92078}}

The last two are hens and chicks which were growing in a tire lol .. there were hundreds. Not sure if they can be ID'd bc I know nothing of Hens and Chicks. Not even sure what to do with them. Beside that is what I think is a pothos. It was on the top of her fridge and hung down and touched the floor. It's also in a bucket. Evidently my aunt likes growing things in dollar store buckets haha.

{{gwi:92079}}

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

BTW - I know the geranium isn't a houseplant. Do I need to move that to the "Name That Plant" forum?

Thanks!

Comments (14)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    10 years ago

Not a geranium but a begonia. I forget which kind.....someone will jump in to help. I can tell you that it makes a fine houseplant in a bright location.

• markparsons435
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well that makes more sense than a geranium - thank you! I will check back again in the morning.
    Mark

• pirate_girl
    10 years ago

Hi,

The 1st is called Callisia, yes, the 2nd is a Begonia of some kind (maybe an Angel wing begonia in type).

The 3rd looks like a Sedum (not an indoor plant, seems to need to be outdoors to grow well) & the 4th is Pothos (hard to kill except by overwatering).

• markparsons435
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you pirate_girl .. any tips on potting the Callisia up? I got a Callisia fragrans in a trade on GW but it doesn't look like that one - So I'm assuming a different type. Is the care the same?

Here's the one I have

{{gwi:92080}}

• pirate_girl
    10 years ago

I've never seen this one above, but am guessing yes, the care should be the same. Why not (am thinking to myself)?

Also, FYI: when in doubt, a search of your own could probably help answer that kind of question.

• asleep_in_the_garden
    10 years ago

I'm pretty sure they are the same...one has just had better light.

It's pretty amazing the difference a little light will make,huh? :)

• markparsons435
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I've been searching ;) Trying to match up pictures - just figured if anyone knew quicker than I could find it, they could let me know lol .. I have to do all my searches today by my phone, which is aggravating in and of itself

I really appreciate you guys!

• teengardener1888
    10 years ago

The 4th one is a semprevivum, not a sedum. They can be grown as houseplants

• pirate_girl
    10 years ago

Yes, right on the last a Semp, not Sedum, thanks for correction which I believe it right. But I don't think Semps do well inside either, they seem to need the cool of outdoor evening air to survive.

• pirate_girl
    10 years ago

I don't think they're the same plant Asleep, both Callisias, but not same.

I've grown the 1st one which center rosette reddened up the same color but not as much marking as the last one. I had quite a lot of light on mine & it only burgundied up in the very center of the rosette. FWIW

• asleep_in_the_garden
    10 years ago

MK that makes me feel a little better about the plant I have(which doesn't look nearly as cool as the one in the latest pic),which is purpling up but still lacks the glossy appearance ...I guess it'll never get that way,will it? LOL

• birdsnblooms
    10 years ago

Mark...Pirate Girl named your plants correctly. I'm not certain about your succulents though.

Some Sedum can be grown indoors....Donkey Tail, etc.

BTW, Geraniums make great house plants.

Hi Asleep!! Sun makes a huge difference, as you can see by Mark's Callisia/Basket Plant.
    How ya doinig? Toni

• asleep_in_the_garden
    10 years ago

Doin ok so far Toni...How you been? we miss you ya know! :P

By the way...the pic at the top and the pic further down that you mentioned. ARE they the same plant under different growing conditions or two entirely different plants altogether?

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

The Callisia are all the same, C. fragrans. They change colors depending on light.

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH