Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can I put my bromeliad and string of pearls outside yet?

Posted by squidy WA (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 3, 12 at 22:02

I live in Seattle. Night temps have been consistently in the mid to upper 40s. Day temps in the 50s and 60s. I have googled around but it seems like all the plant sites I find are written by people who live in tropical places where 60f is considered "cool", and they don't even bother to go into much detail about lower temperatures. What will actually happen to these warm-weather plants at cooler temps? Can they really die from temperatures below 50f?
I want to put them outside because the tree in front of my plant window has filled in and is blocking the light.

PS I have no idea what kind of bromeliad it is. Here's a somewhat terrible picture of it:

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can I put my bromeliad and string of pearls outside yet?

string of pearls would be fine but the bromeliad should stay inside until summer in the north. washington state is what wa means i guess. the bromeliad has brown edges and needs more humidity. try keeping it in a bathroom

o

Okay, thanks! :)

o

squidy, you need to identify your bromeliad. It appears to be an Aechmea fasciata, but I am not certain. Is it a young 'pup' or did you purchase it in bloom?

Bromeliads, as a family, have a very wide range of temperatures in which they are perfectly happy. Many are quite cold tolerant, especially with the night-time temps. That's why you need to really try to ID the plant....perhaps you can post your image in the Bromeliad Forum right here in the GardenWeb.

Frankly, I don't see any sign that your plant is suffering from a lack of humidity. Just be sure that you keep that center vase filled with clean water....empty it out occasionally and refill. Unless your bathroom is extremely well-lit, I'd not place it there. As you know, bromeliads require plenty of light when grown in the home. They can do very well in the average home with very little fussing, but light can be a limiting factor.

o

Hi squidy, we're neighbors :)

Given the crap weather we've been having, I'd personally wait before putting anything that was too sensitive outside. I'm hoping we won't have any more nights in the mid-40's, but not getting my hopes up...

Obviously depends on the plant though, and I can't comment on broms. I have some peppers that I put outside a month ago and they're not very happy, but also not dying or anything.

o

I live in swfl and there are TONS of bromeliads outside that do just fine in the winter with temps down to the 30's. As long as there is no chance of a freeze, they will be just fine.

o

BUT...the identity of this bromeliad needs to be verified first. There are also numerous species that won't do well in temps that low.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here