Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
fruit?

Posted by fandog 6a (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 17, 13 at 22:12

Im still not sure what type of plant this is, but does anyone know what those pairs of buds are? I dont think they are new leaves and they never really do anything. Please advise.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: fruit?

Thinking possibly a Peperomia obtusifolia.

The nubs are likely backbudding as a result of it being cut back(looks like a while ago).

How long have the nubs been there?

o

They've always been there. Heres another photo.

o

Seeing the second pic gives me pause...I'm gonna see what someone else has to venture in the way of a guess.

That pic makes me think of a ficus elastica but the new growth is all wrong.

Yep...definitely calls for a second opinion. :)

o

Definatly a ficus but I don't know which one.

o

If it is a ficus,the new growth should come to a point,whereas the new growth in the pic makes me think of P.obtusifolia.

The nubs are rounded aren't they(kinda hard to tell in the pic)?

o

I don't believe that last pic is representative of Pep Obt's growth, doesn't get such woody stems.

Could we have a pic of the entire plant pls. (top to bottom)? It would help us on this ID.

o

I don't believe that last pic is representative of Pep Obt's growth, doesn't get such woody stems.

Could we have a pic of the entire plant pls. (top to bottom)? It would help us on this ID.

o

Good point Karen!

Thinks it's a ficus elastica decora?

At this rate I'm leaning that way. :)

o

UGH

The dreaded double post got me again! LOL

This post was edited by asleep_in_the_garden on Tue, Jun 18, 13 at 13:19

o

I think its a mistletoe fig. New growth does come to a point, i just pinched those in an attempt to make this back bud. Those nubs are actually the fig fruit buds i believe.

o

Ficus deltoidea. YES fandog! I do believe that's it!

Nice work! :)

o

I'm not convinced of that til I see the whole plant (tho' the suggested Ficus is one of my absolute favorites).

o

I had one myself(which shames me that I didn't think of it sooner)like a million years ago. Pretty sure I got it in a trade.

It would be nice to have one again but all things come to those who wait,right? :)

o

Any ideas on how to get it to back bud? Ive pinched the tips and removed some of the fruit buds.

o

Tip pinching always did it for me. :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here