Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
candyspan

Should I separate this Ficus Lyrata?

candyspan
9 years ago

Hey all, first of all I think this is the best most informative forum on the net. Everyone leaves their egos at the door in favor of great responses and discussions!

So I have this baby ficus lyrata that I just purchased in the hopes that I can grow it to a full tree in the coming years, but when I purchased it it seems to have three different cuttings in the same pot. My question is should I go ahead and separate them now, or wait until later? I think I read somewhere that separation early is better, so as to avoid the roots from tangling...

What to do? It's going to be an indoor plant, but I currently have it and my rubber tree outside getting some of this summertime goodness, and to get a jump start on growing. Also... Any tips on how much I should I fertilize/expect it to grow this first summer out? I have it on my front porch where it gets mostly shaded sun, and direct sun for about 2-3 hours as the sun is setting...

Here it is:

{{gwi:92254}}
{{gwi:92255}}

Thanks,

D

Comments (5)

• alisonoz_gw
    9 years ago

Of course they may NOT be separate plants, it's hard for us to tell what's lurking beyond the top mulch.
    But even IF there are 3 cuttings there, personally I like the present multi-stemmed look better than I would 3 separately planted. I think the advantage of that, outweighs any negatives.
    Although most ficus are incredibly tough, you may indeed upset things by seeking to split them - at least set them back a bit as I dare say their root systems would be mingled by now.
    With so many branches, it will allow any occasional leaf loss to go less noticed and the plant to be turned to allow more even growth.
    One pot that has to be gradually increased is better than 3 separate ones all to be tended especially if floor space is limited - what really keeps them growing is light.
    The roots have a dual purpose - stabilising a plant as well as providing a feeding system. So, if you keep up nutrients during growing phases, there is no reason why all three plants would not remain healthy.
    On the other hand, a more restricted root area (as I say, given that you will probably have to pot on occasionally proportionate to the height of the plants) may tend to keep them more manageable height and stop them bolting.
    If they do not naturally branch later, you can always cut one and try to force new buds, without destroying the total effect of the plant.
    Anyway that's my 2cs

• MsGreenFinger GW
    9 years ago

Agree with alisonoz. I don't own any lyratas but seems to me that it's not easy to make them look bushy/develop branches. So keep them together and they will support each other and have a nice bushy look. Also they use more water this way, so the harder to overwater them!
    Don't forget to turn the pot occassionally so all sides get enough sun.

• candyspan
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I actually wanted to try and train a tree to grow bushy, so yes some branching is in my future. With that in mind, do you still think I should keep them together?

Thanks!

• sue678
    9 years ago

Large over 7 foot tall lyrata with 9 I believe stems.. How can we get it back to a more manageable state we have them tied midway together..Plant very healthy for the most part. I would like to Take a few stems they are like a good thumb size round off and propigate ? We were given this plant by my sister she could not keep it they were downsizing, its thriving well... I haven't fed it.. my bad...:( but I will I promise.. feed with 20 20 20?
    Its oct here in wisconsin.. winter usually kep our temps 65-72 in house.. I water her every 1-2 weeks with 1/2 gallon water.. minimal leaf dropping.
    Thank you
    Sue

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    9 years ago

..... same way you would manage the ht of a plant in the landscape - prune it. Now isn't a good time to be taking off the plant's food factories (leaves), though. The plant needs all the photosynthesizing surface it can get in the winter. I'll link you to something on ficus culture that should give you some good direction. I have at least 30 ficus in containers, and I use Foliage-Pro 9-3-6 for all of them - for all my containerized trees, in fact. If you want the science behind why I suggest that fertilizer, just ask. I might even explain it in what I'm linking you to - I don't remember.

Al

Here is a link that might be useful: Click me - I'll take you to more ...