Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Trying again with Pic

Posted by lovesgardening Israel (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 1, 14 at 22:52

Hi everyone. I'm having trouble finding the name of this small plant - the leaves are a few inches long and velvety,
It looks similar to many plants but not exactly the same. Could it be some kind of aroid? Alocasia?
Thanks for your help =)
Dory

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Trying again with Pic

Is it possible that it's a Caladium?

Planto

o

I don't know... it could be a Caladium but the leaves are small... and looking poorly in my opinion. A friend of mine propagated this from a stem cutting and gave it to me to try and help but am not sure what the cultural requirements are (she doesn't know what it's called either) The original plant is in a low light spot in the house and doing well but this one wasn't happy..=(

o

Having come from a stem cutting, I'd suspect it's some type of Syngonium.

o

Would your friend be able to send you a pic of her plant that you could share with us?

The white stripe down the middle reminds me of a colocasia called "nancy's revenge",but those are propagated by division rather than stem cuttings.

o

Hey everyone! Thanks for your suggestions. It could be a Syngonium but it has a velvety texture... It looks a lot like Nancy's revenge. Here are more pictures (of mom!) to give a better indication of its proportions.

o

Purp nailed it...syngonium it is!

Good eye Purp! :)

I'm thinking syngonium wendlandii to be exact.

This post was edited by asleep_in_the_garden on Mon, Jun 2, 14 at 16:07

o

Thanks again! Yes, there are velvety Syngoniums and I believe the one I have is syngonium wendlandii.
Happy gardening!
=)
Dory

o

It's very pretty, and I've never seen one here in the US. Wish I could touch the velvety leaves! Enjoy!

How did you come up with that name, Asleep? The concept of "another Syngonium" is a new one to me, after all these years of following this forum. Wiki says there are approx 36 species. Where/why are they hiding the other 35? Wonder if all those Syngs out there are really podophyllum?

o

Under the search criteria "syngonium" I ran an image search and scrolled down in the hopes of finding a lookalike. Once I found one I went to the site and found the name. Once I had the name I read up on it a little and confirmed velvet texture...by then I knew I had it. A mature specimen must be a sight!

The other 35 are intriguing,aren't they?
Sounds like a lot of homework,but it might be worthwhile to run image searches on each of them just to see what other surprises await. Picture a black velvet one...if it exists,wouldn't that be amazing?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here