Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
wandering jew - is this normal??

Posted by squidy WA (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 29, 11 at 0:27

I got a wandering jew a couple months ago and right when I got it I saw one of the vines had died, like right where it hung over the edge of the pot. The distal end of the vine was still alive but the vine at that one point had shriveled up and seemed limp and stringy. Sooo I picked that vine off and stuck the alive part in water and it stayed alive. But now I'm seeing.. all the vines are like that. All of them look healthy, with perky leaves on them, and where the leaves attache the vine is plump and normal, but most of them seem to be dead and shriveled and barely attached where they come over the side of the pot. I just messed with the plant now and one broke off, and like 6 more broke off while I was trying to stick the first one back in the soil. (In the hopes that it will just root there.) Finally I got all the broken pieces stuck into the soil. So I guess I'll see if that turns out okay. But yeah.. is this how this plant is supposed to be? Are those vines really okay, even though they seem dead? Because the plant doesn't seem to mind. It looks pretty good. I am confused.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: wandering jew - is this normal??

I periodically prune my Wandering Jew, and then root all the cuttings in the same pot.
Some of those old stems will grow new leaves, too, which will make for a nice, full plant.

Josh

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here