Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cactusboss

What's the one house plant that brightens your mood the most?

CactusBoss
10 years ago

I'm sorry I just love fun topics. For me I'd have to say......... Chinese Evergreen.

Comments (19)

• auron22
    10 years ago

Serissa foetida for me.
    Even though it's a pretty sorry looking specimen, it's one of my more interesting houseplants. It's bouncing back. I think I got a variegated variety. I'm noticing some white pattern along the leaf edges on mature leaves. When it looks healthy again maybe it will show me some blooms.

• tamela_star
    10 years ago

That's a tough one for me. I only buy plants that do brighten my day. So I would say my orchids, anthurium, peace lily, and gold fish plant do that for me. I also have a lemon tree that is special to me but its outside half of the year

• pelargonium_gw
    10 years ago

Streptocarpus and Sansevieria. :)

• delreytropical
    10 years ago

Definitely tropical hibiscus, there is nothing better than getting a huge hot pink bloom in the middle of winter!

• flower_baby
    10 years ago

I'd have to say my pregnant onion. It's such a fun plant :)

• plantomaniac08
    10 years ago

I'd have to say my 'Crown of Thorns.' My Mom let me have it (it was originally hers), and it hasn't stopped blooming since I took it!

Planto

• elkay_gw
    10 years ago

Don't think I can choose just one. If I had to pick ONLY two, I'd have to say........my AV's, most of which I keep on my kitchen counter. I like looking at their pretty little flowers.
    {{gwi:92488}}

{{gwi:92489}}

And my ags......
    {{gwi:92490}}

{{gwi:86881}}

{{gwi:73748}}

• birdsnblooms
    10 years ago

CB, I cannot possibly answer your question.
    Easier to answer if your Subject of Posting was, What's the one house plant that darkens your mood the most? :)

Elkay, love your Aglaos. Happen to know the last photo's variety? Toni

• elkay_gw
    10 years ago

Sorry, Toni, I don't know.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

Thought about this for a couple days and keep landing on Sansevieria trifasciata. It's been through so much with me, neglected at times, tolerant of being put about anywhere, and just keeps chugging on, stayin' alive, stayin' alive. Also, I think it's the one plant I've never killed (aside from a couple failed leaf propagation attempts among many successful ones,) so it beat out Dracaena marginata, heart-leaf Philo, and spider plant (the latter killed on purpose.)

For just plain lookin' good all of the time, nothing holds a candle to heart-leaf Philo. The leaves are as easily damaged as Sans, but much more easily replaced, possible to completely remove without leaving an ugly stump, and usually the removal of a leaf or two is not noticeable.

• Lorna1949
    10 years ago

Hi I have many house plants but one is one of my best easy to take care of cactus is another one I like when it is in flower

• CactusBoss
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Lorna1949, What is that? Is that a Begonia?

• KatherynIridaceae
    10 years ago

Calathea Roseopicta "Medallion". As long as it isn't moved around the house much it will learn when day and night is supposed to be and fold it self up. So when I go to bed I see it's lifted up it's leaves to reveal that super dark purple color, then when I wake up I get to see it all stretched out. It looks like a totally different plant.

• JasonSong336
    10 years ago

Cane Begonias!

• CactusBoss
    Original Author
    10 years ago

l've always wanted to grow Calathea or Maranta but i heard they're very challenging and fussy plants, so if I tried to grow one it would be a plant that would darken my mood.

• greentoe357
    10 years ago

Cactus, I am new to this house plants hobby, but I've learned to take opinions about which plants are "easy" or "difficult" with a big grain of salt. Everybody's natural (or artificial) environment is different, so even if you are a huge brown thumb, if the culture happens to be right for a particular plant, you may succeed even if the plant is widely viewed as challenging to grow. Also, some people are natural overwaterers and some are underwaterers, and that plays into it as well. And sometimes there are no visible explanations, too.

I am growing both a maranta and have grown two kinds of calatheas. They are all related, I think, and need similar culture, but my experience has been drastically different. It seemed like I could not stop maranta (the red-veined variety) from growing on me even if I tried - and this included much of fall and winter. It flowered for me several times, too. And it was one of the first three plans I ever got. And it was before I got a humidifier. It grew so much that I had to cut one rope into several cuttings and those have rooted easily and are growing now as well. It is one of my favorites (to come back to the topic of the thread).

Calathea is quite a different story. I got a gorgeous bushy plant, looked like "Roseopicta" in the spring of last year, just to see the leaves VERY quickly get dried up, shrivel up and the whole plant to die on me.

Calathea "Tropical Satisfaction" IS growing, but by that I mean surviving, not REALY growing.

So, go figure... I would recommend trying - then trying again if you do not succeed. I am getting another Roseopicta for sure - it's just such a gorgeous plant!

To answer the thread's question, for me it is often the latest plant I got. This Aglaonema was a lucky find, I think, and a recent one, so it is very high on the list.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

I actually check every morning to see if any of these cute little flowers are open. Silly how one can make me feel like it's gonna be a good day. (Portulaca pilosa. The other plant in the pic is Tahitian bridal veil, Gibasis geniculata.)

• eaksqueak
    10 years ago

Nobody has mentioned palm trees. Palm trees are awesome, especially now that I live up north.